Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sooo out of my league. >
  • Sooo out of my league.

• Sooo out of my league.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
    Well Joy, we all started somewhere. You have taken the classes. Now it is time to start your learning curve ... something that varies widely among quilters.

I am guessing that this is a practice piece. In that case, you have nothing to loose. Remember to pull the bobbin thread up when ever you start and finally stop.

If you love to read like I do you might like the book: Outliers. It gives new meaning to overnight successes. I became much more realistic after reading it and I still had/have fun with my craft.
    Thanks Ali. I have always been a perfectionist, so it is frustrating to not be able to quilt like I would like to. All my quilts I have quilted look like practice. LOL Guess I just waited too late in life to start trying to machine quilt. I hand quilted all my life but unfortunately that is just too slow to get all that I want done.
    Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 AM
    Power Poster

Are you using your domestic sewing machine or a long arm? If on your DSM, do a few stabilizing lines and start from the middle out. If on a long arm, go for it! Use the same coloured thread as the fabric and it will give a nice textured look but hide any boo boos. It is only fabric and thread and the stores have more.
    Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    Are you using your domestic sewing machine or a long arm? If on your DSM, do a few stabilizing lines and start from the middle out. If on a long arm, go for it! Use the same coloured thread as the fabric and it will give a nice textured look but hide any boo boos. It is only fabric and thread and the stores have more.
    Thanks Tartan. I am doing it on my DSM. I started in the middle. So far, so good.
    Old 10-07-2013, 10:03 AM

When do we see a picture of this fantastic quilt. Come on let's see..
    Old 10-07-2013, 10:15 AM
    Banned

Doing the marked areas first will hold the other areas in place more securely and make those areas easier to quilt.
    Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 AM

As I understand reading through the above posts ... you have a center medallion that is marked, and a border that is marked (or designed but not marked). You have not yet decided what to put in the area between the center medallion and the border ... correct??

OK ... go ahead and finish the center medallion then stop. At this point you should decide what you are going to put in the area between the medallion and the border. Don't do the border until you've quilted that middle bit. If you did this your quilt would wind up wonky/uneven ... puckers .. and who knows what other quilting monsters it will create.

When we quilt, we are pulling the sandwich together. The denser the quilting, the more your entire quilt will "shrink". Starting in the middle we will force the quilt to "shrink" evenly in all directions.

So go ahead and finish the medallion then hang the quilt a while and think about it! You'll come up with something.
    Old 10-07-2013, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
    I am a bit confused. You don't indicate your level of skill in doing machine quilting. I am not sure of your success in " winging it". To me just putting the needle down and hitting the peddle is not the way to learn machine quilting. Is there something you are not telling in your post.

It takes all kinds, doesn't it? This is exactly how I learn- I can sit and read about something, or watch someone demonstrate something all day and just not "get it". I have to jump right in and go for it, because I am a hands-on learner. So to me, what she is doing is EXACTLY the way to learn machine quilting
    Old 10-08-2013, 03:30 AM

Good luck whatever you decide and show us a picture when its finished
    Old 10-08-2013, 05:08 AM

Before you start on a "real" quilt practice drawing quilting designs you like and make some practice squares. When you feel that it is good enough for your finished quilt top, then quilt it.
    Old 10-08-2013, 05:34 AM

Joy, I hope all is going well for ya! I just wanted to say how impressed I am that you started! Starting is the hardest part, sometimes.

Dina