Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sooo out of my league. >
  • Sooo out of my league.

• Sooo out of my league.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:36 AM
    KLO

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
    Froggy, you sound like Cindy Needham on Craftsy. She is the one that gave me confidence to start trying to FMQ. One of her fillers is called scribbling and looks great in a small space. She throws all the rules about crossing the lines out the door. She does some of the most beautiful wholecloth quilts I have ever seen. Such a great teacher. You can bet mine is totally free. I was laughing at some of mine yesterday and trying to figure out what pattern it was. I just decided to name them Joy Boo Boo or Oops.
    Love the new names for your quilt designs!!! I've always wanted something named after myself so maybe I should just jump right in and do the machine quilting I am tentative to do see what I come up with, Ha. Actually, reading your posts on this thread is encouraging me to dive in too. Glad you posted this even though you were looking for encouragement for yourself. Good to hear that you are carrying on. Practice seems to be the answer for most things that you want to learn and you are doing just that. Congrats for having the courage to go for it.
    Old 10-09-2013, 06:25 AM

Default doodle

Make a separate doodle sandwich where you just practice some ideas. Have fun ...

OK. I have this wholecloth quilt sandwiched, at the machine, needle down to start and I seemed to freeze. I can not come up with how to quilt it. I have watched tutorials until I am so confused. Guess I will just start the needle moving and see where it takes me. I really tried to plan it but nothing seemed to fit. Just tell me it will be alright, I need the encouragement. OK, here goes. Deep breaths, breathe in, breathe out. Wait, I think I will have a cup of coffee and finish reading a book first.
    Old 10-09-2013, 07:24 AM

Joy... I suffer from this too, the fear of quilting. You go into the room, see your beautiful fabric sitting next to your machine, pristine and untouched... next to it are your mat and rotary cutter and they look back at you and try to stare you down. So you slowly back out of the room and put the kettle on, run the hoover round and then it starts to get dark and you really should not start a project that late in the day. So you close the door.

You can start again in the morning, when you have all day to take a run at it. But when you walk in the fabric looks so untainted and then you start to think what if I end up measuring once and then have to cut twice... what about the waste. Then you realise that the quilt poilice are in in the neighbourhood... watching through the window. Best leave it.

This goes on for days, then one day, when you least expect it, the rebel quilter awakes. She marches to the machine, switches it on and with the gently stroke of her hand shows who is in charge. The fabric races to lie down on the mat ready to be transformed. The hand shakes a little and then you start but before you know it, you have nearly finished the top and start wondering what took you so long.

I am glad to see you are channelling your inner rebel quilter and am sure that the quilt will be marvelous.
    Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 AM

Go with it...there is no wrong is there?
    I over think everything, so I get nothing done....
    Old 10-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Start with some small quilt sandwiches and quilt those. Another good way to see what you want to do is to buy a piece of plexi glass. Sometimes you will find plexi in inexpensive frames at a thrift store. Lay the plexi down on the quilt and doodle or draw designs you are thinking of using on the plexiglass. You use an eraserable marker and just wipe it off with a piece of batting. This way, you can get an idea of what looks good on your quilt without having to pick out stitches.
    Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Part of it is marked and part will be free hand. The problem with the marked areas, some of the pattern is large. I don't know what to fill in areas with. Oh well, I will have to wing it and hope for the best. I can always trash it if necessary and chalk it up to experience. Thanks ladies.

As a filler, I like to do small pebbles and stones (circles and oval shapes...varying sizes....they really fill up an area and I think they look nice).......
    Old 10-09-2013, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by RosMadeMe
    Joy... I suffer from this too, the fear of quilting. You go into the room, see your beautiful fabric sitting next to your machine, pristine and untouched... next to it are your mat and rotary cutter and they look back at you and try to stare you down. So you slowly back out of the room and put the kettle on, run the hoover round and then it starts to get dark and you really should not start a project that late in the day. So you close the door.

You can start again in the morning, when you have all day to take a run at it. But when you walk in the fabric looks so untainted and then you start to think what if I end up measuring once and then have to cut twice... what about the waste. Then you realise that the quilt poilice are in in the neighbourhood... watching through the window. Best leave it.

This goes on for days, then one day, when you least expect it, the rebel quilter awakes. She marches to the machine, switches it on and with the gently stroke of her hand shows who is in charge. The fabric races to lie down on the mat ready to be transformed. The hand shakes a little and then you start but before you know it, you have nearly finished the top and start wondering what took you so long.

I am glad to see you are channelling your inner rebel quilter and am sure that the quilt will be marvelous.
    This is me exactly. Actually since I put the pedal to the metal it is coming along. It is the fear of starting. Mind you I only said it is coming along. I didn't say it is gorgeous. But what the heck, it will be mine. I guess it is just that on a wholecloth quilt you don't have beautiful fabrics to distract the eye. It is the whole focal point. White on white, my eyes are about to cross.