Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sorting my stash! ?!? How much is too much? >
  • Sorting my stash! ?!? How much is too much?

• Sorting my stash! ?!? How much is too much?

Old 08-29-2010, 12:18 PM

Oh and one more thing about my stash. I am a big Bonnie Hunter fan of "Quiltville" fame and after she spoke to our guild and I took her class, I am a reformed scrap saver. I use her system and it has really been wonderful! I sort all of the scraps at the end of a project into strings, 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2, 3 and 3 1/2 inch bins. If the scrap is 5 inches or less, I cut them into the above sizes and then I have a separate organizer for those. I further divide them into lights and darks. It has been great because of little side projects where I am doing something scrappy and I can just go to those bins and grab what I need. In the past year I have made two of her quilts and my daughters proclaim they are the prettiest ones I have made to date.

This is her "Carolina Christmas" mystery quilt from last year, which I just finished last week.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]106915[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-106910.jpe  
    Old 08-29-2010, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    I am taking the next few days to sort out quilting fabric, templates, threads, books, etc. I truly have no less that 9
    huge totes filled with fabric alone that needs to be re-organized. I live in a tiny house and my sewing room is the dining room table. I am first getting all the totes unloaded and sorting by color except for Christmas, novelty, large backing fabric, scraps & childrens fabric. Then all others will just be sorted by color.
    Anyway, any ideas on sorting are most welcome.
    I have waaay too much fabric. Some is going to be donated to a local shelter or something.
    I used to think I had to much fabric. But since the cost of fabric is high and there isn't extra money like before. I'm glad I have extra fabric. I'm sure I will run out one day
    Old 08-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    I am taking the next few days to sort out quilting fabric, templates, threads, books, etc. I truly have no less that 9
    huge totes filled with fabric alone that needs to be re-organized. I live in a tiny house and my sewing room is the dining room table. I am first getting all the totes unloaded and sorting by color except for Christmas, novelty, large backing fabric, scraps & childrens fabric. Then all others will just be sorted by color.
    Anyway, any ideas on sorting are most welcome.
    I have waaay too much fabric. Some is going to be donated to a local shelter or something.
    Project Linus quilters? You can find them online or the local guild usually has info, or will pass it on. Of course you could send it to greedy little me.... :lol:
    Old 08-29-2010, 12:59 PM

Remember, not all quilts have to be pieced. I've often made quilts where the front, back & binding are the same fabric. The quilts are about 42 inches wide & however long I want or can make them. Do some cross hatches on the front & you're done! Fast, easy & a great way to use up big pieces of fabric.
    Old 08-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Early this spring I went through my sewing room and decided that I had way too much fabric, so I made a commitment to use it in charity quilts. I went on to EQ6 and made up some patterns for easy quilts that I could make up with small amounts of a single fabric. I have since completed 29 children's quilts and 15 adult quilts. Most are lap quilt size and were very easy to make. I still don't feel that I have made much of a dent in my stash, but by Christmas, I hope to have quite a few more completed.

Most are medallion or stitch'n'flip strip patterns
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]107046[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-107041.jpe  
    Old 08-29-2010, 04:26 PM

i take fabric that has gotten on my nerves and made rag quilts somebody will take them aouple of them really thins out my stash
    Old 08-29-2010, 04:47 PM

What is a tube block?
    Old 08-29-2010, 06:18 PM
    Power Poster

Good for you. It will feel so much better when you are finished.
    Old 08-29-2010, 06:36 PM

If you are going to donate your fabric, try the local guild or ask at your LQS there are many gals making quilts for children in hospitals, our wonderful selfless Military, and for hospice and Nursing Home patients. Please be sure it goes where it will be used for charity.
    Old 08-29-2010, 06:49 PM
    Dee

I also plan to go thru my stash.