Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sorting my stash! ?!? How much is too much? >
  • Sorting my stash! ?!? How much is too much?

• Sorting my stash! ?!? How much is too much?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    Originally Posted by DebbyT
    You could stack crates on the side and you have instant shelves. You can see your stash and it only takes up about 12" X 15". I have a stack behind the bedroom door. I got the crates for $3.00 each and stacked 6 high. With the amount of fabric you have you may need more than 1 stack. You will want to concider covering if light or dust is an issue.

Crates are an excellent idea! Thank you for the suggestion.
    I know this is really dumb of me to ask, but where do you find crates?
    Old 09-03-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by GailG
    where do you find crates?
    Not a dumb question - if you haven't had a need for one you wouldn't necessarily know. Asking questions is how we learn. And, believe me, we all ask plenty of them. Soooo - if you don't know ask away. We're all glad to help.

Crates can be found at K-Mart, Target, Bed/Bath/Beyond, Meijer's. They are big in college towns, too, for the back-to-school students. I've seen them at IKEA also.

I remember years ago we had one from our milkman for milk delivery. Does that age me or what?
    Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
    I am taking the next few days to sort out quilting fabric, templates, threads, books, etc. ..............I have waaay too much fabric.
    Are you Kidding??!! ;)
    Old 09-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    Originally Posted by DebbyT
    You could stack crates on the side and you have instant shelves. You can see your stash and it only takes up about 12" X 15". I have a stack behind the bedroom door. I got the crates for $3.00 each and stacked 6 high. With the amount of fabric you have you may need more than 1 stack. You will want to concider covering if light or dust is an issue.

Crates are an excellent idea! Thank you for the suggestion.
    I know this is really dumb of me to ask, but where do you find crates?
    Wal-mart. A lot of stores have them in the back to school area now. College students use them in the dorms. I have also found them in the hardware stores in the totes and storage area.
    Old 09-04-2010, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by burnsk
    where do you find crates?
    Not a dumb question - if you haven't had a need for one you wouldn't necessarily know. Asking questions is how we learn. And, believe me, we all ask plenty of them. Soooo - if you don't know ask away. We're all glad to help.

Crates can be found at K-Mart, Target, Bed/Bath/Beyond, Meijer's. They are big in college towns, too, for the back-to-school students. I've seen them at IKEA also.

I remember years ago we had one from our milkman for milk delivery. Does that age me or what?
    Thanks! I'm familiar with the milk crates. They were my salvation for storage in my classroom. I asked because I was thinking of wooden crates such as apple crates, etc. I am really dating myself.

:oops:
    Old 09-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by bj
    My sewing room is small and has glass doors that look into my living room. For me, too much is when it won't fit into the closet in there. I don't like for the room to look messy from the other parts of the house. But that's just me.
    My sewing room is the same except I built in the verndah and put big shelves on 2 walls. I too am going through my fabric as I re- arrange the room to make it easier to get into the cupboards. I have 1 rows of plastic drawers 7 high as well as all the shelves are full of boxes full of color coded fabrics. I am still buying fabric as I see some thing I like. But I am making a baby quilt using most of the fabric from my stash. I will post the quilt when I finish it. I am thinking of doing a couple of blocks to take and show friends at the quilt group.