Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A special wedding dress >
  • A special wedding dress

• A special wedding dress

Old 11-21-2009, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meetingtogo
    Calling all romantics!
    First of all I do not sew or quilt BUT I would like to make a wedding dress for my future daughter-in-law. I was thinking that I could cut up my wedding dress and my mother-in-law's dress to form a quilt design for the skirt.
    I need a pattern between 12 to 16 inches for the square but simple. In my research, I found the double wedding ring, the dresden plate, and the winding path.
    Anyone with ideas on other patterns that we might try? Since quilts are so colorful, I have to work with different materials to create this dress instead; that makes it harder to find a pattern.
    All ideas welcome!
    I hate to throw water on your vision but seriously if you don't even quilt why the quilt blocks? If you've never made a quilt block out of cotton that behaves how do you expect to make them out of satin that doesn't behave.

If you've never sewn do you really think you can start off making a wedding dress and have it turn out gorgeous? Satin is difficult to work with. All but the simplest of wedding dresses are pretty much expert projects. I know a couple of seamstresses and the projects they hate more than anything else are custom wedding dresses.

How are you going to feel after you cut up two vintage dresses and end up with something she may not want to wear at all?

Here's something else to seriously consider, she may resent you for years and years if she feels obligated to wear something she hates.

A wedding dress is more than "just a dress."

Old 11-21-2009, 01:48 PM

Yes, I did tell her my idea and she is thinking. She would like to have the ideas laid out which is completely correct of her. I told her this is one of those times she is suppose to say "No thanks" and have no fear of me being upset. This is her time not mine.

This is a case of $12 on Mastercard for patterns, sharing history with your daughter-in-law, priceless!
    Old 11-21-2009, 02:51 PM

I am glad you have talked about this with her. When I was doing evening wear, prom dresses, etc., (with lots of training and education behind me), I had more than a couple of brides bring me dresses that other supposedly "professional" seamstresses had all but ruined. Luckily, I was able to salvage the messes brought to me...and they were not always easy. As Scissor Queen said, satin is not for a beginner. After 25-30 years of working with "slippery" fabrics for evening wear, or lingerie, my suggestion would be to think about other options to include these dresses in making memories. Perhaps parts of each could be used to make a ring bearers pillow, pew bows, toss pillows for the wedding bed, or ???????????
    Old 11-21-2009, 03:16 PM

Pzazz - I think you are 100% correct......... that is a big under taking I too am a garment sewer and I don't know if I would be cumfortable cutting 2 vintage dresses and then finding out it didn't work. What a bout buying a simple wedding dress and using the two vintage dresses to add a train to the all ready made dress.... think that would be more within the relm of things.......... any left over materal from the vintage dresses could be used for other special occasions like baptisms etc.
    Well for what ever it's worth that is the way I would go..............
    Scrap Quilter.
    Old 11-21-2009, 03:34 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Meetingtogo
    Yes, I did tell her my idea and she is thinking. She would like to have the ideas laid out which is completely correct of her. I told her this is one of those times she is suppose to say "No thanks" and have no fear of me being upset. This is her time not mine.

This is a case of $12 on Mastercard for patterns, sharing history with your daughter-in-law, priceless!
    When I say "I'll think about it" - if often means, "I'd really rather not, but I don't know how to say 'no' gracefully"

Old 11-21-2009, 04:14 PM

Glad that scissors queen, scrap quilter and pzazz spoke up, I agree that this might be a huge undertaking that you might find overwhelming. Scrap quilter suggested making the train, that may be do able, also how about a simple purchased gown with the train or a quilted apron? Maybe set your sights on something simpler, even small bits of the dresses will suffice for the history. Another thing is her garter, lace from the dresses could be incorperated in her bouquet or the ring pillow. Love the idea of the lace bows for the aisle. Whatever she decides, she is going to be a beautiful bride.
    Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM

I agree it is a huge undertaking. I have been making garments for more years then I care to admit. I support your decision, but if you choose to make something else might I add a purse for the bride? I have also seen some amazing wedding quilts made of all white. That might be a thought too.

Someone PM'ed me to see my crocheted wedding dress. Do you want to see it here?
    Old 11-21-2009, 07:19 PM

Kwhite.............. would love to see your dress........ bring it on.
    Old 11-21-2009, 08:07 PM

Do you think I would step on Meetingtogo's toes if I don't wait for her OK?
    Old 11-22-2009, 02:48 AM

Where's the dress?