Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A special wedding dress >
  • A special wedding dress

• A special wedding dress

Old 11-22-2009, 06:35 AM
    Power Poster

Why don't you just put it in a new thread and then we can comment on it there?
    Old 11-22-2009, 07:21 AM

Rather than try to undertake such a difficult task, why don't you make the couple a wedding quilt using the dresses you were thinking of using to make her dress? You could choose a simple block without triangles, ect, even a modified 9 patch that could showcase the wedding dress material in the center and then be surrounded by cotton material that would match either their wedding colors or their home decor. It would probably be well received and still share your family history with the couple.
    Old 11-22-2009, 07:23 AM

Alright I will open a new picture thread.
    Old 11-22-2009, 07:33 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
    Rather than try to undertake such a difficult task, why don't you make the couple a wedding quilt using the dresses you were thinking of using to make her dress? You could choose a simple block without triangles, ect, even a modified 9 patch that could showcase the wedding dress material in the center and then be surrounded by cotton material that would match either their wedding colors or their home decor. It would probably be well received and still share your family history with the couple.
    Or maybe use fabrics similar to the fabrics in the dresses?
    Old 11-22-2009, 08:10 AM

PLEASE PLEASE PRACTICE before digging into that project! While your heart is in the right place, you don't want your daughter-in-law to be stuck with a "loving hands at home" dress that she feels obligated to wear. A wedding dress is such a special thing, and she'll look at it for the rest of her life in her wedding pictures, so it has to exactly what SHE wants. Be sure you aren't making her feel like she will be upsetting her future mother-in -law by not wearing what you make. Maybe a lovely bed quilt or a wallhanging to commemorate the wedding would be a better idea. Good luck!
    Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 AM

Those are great suggestions and I will keep them. I have a great fabric shop around here so I am hoping to find some great fabric that will work well and be easy to use. First though I have to fit the pattern to her and then see what we have from that point.
    Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 AM

My son has been dating her since 7th grade. I have taught her to say no to me and she has learned! However, you are correct. I really can't railroad her into something I think is great when it is not what she wants at all.
    Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 AM

I think from the time they are quite young girls have an idea of what they want in a wedding dress....or something in that line....I never got what I wanted,still see it in my mind :D s eye
    Old 11-22-2009, 10:56 AM

I was thinking that if my boyfriend and I got engaged, and his mom asked to make a dress for me, I wouldn't want her to. Mind you, she is amazingly crafty and made me a beautiful charm bracelet/matching earrings, which I love. But I have been picturing my wedding dress for 15+ years, and if she made, it would be more of her picture of my dress, than my picture (does that make sense?). And at the same time, I would be really uncomfortable saying so to her.

I would love a quilt/pillows/photo album cover/etc made from old wedding dresses, but not my dress itself.
    Old 11-22-2009, 12:49 PM
    Power Poster

I would love to see pictures of what you have so far :D :D :D
    If you need help posting them, let us know, we can walk you through the process, it is easy after the first time :wink: