Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Spending foolishly at the quilt show >
  • Spending foolishly at the quilt show

• Spending foolishly at the quilt show

Old 09-20-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
    I probably will have after the first. Going to the airing of the quilts in PA....can't wait!!!!
    Fun Day! I went last year and really enjoyed it.

:thumbup:

robin
    Old 09-20-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by katyquilter
    If you ever use the X block template/pattern, let me know. I've had that since last September and can't quite figure it out!!
    This is a quilt I made with the X block ruler. It's pretty simple, actually, once you get started. Basically, you make an oversize 9 patch, (don't look at the flowers, look at the unit with a white square in the center) line up the ruler lines -( it makes the block come out cockeyed) and cut around the ruler. My suggestion would be to make the blocks about 1/2" larger than they tell you, becasue on a lot of them, I had JUST enough. I like to have a little bit more "wiggle room". Good Luck!
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-259517.jpe  
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:12 AM

I probably will have after the first. Going to the airing of the quilts in PA....can't wait!!!!
    Never went to this but am planning to this year.
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:13 AM

I cannot even go to quilt shows anymore because I spend too much money for things that look great at the time and never use it once I get home. That goes for kits, rulers (got lots of rulers :) ) and tons of plastic storage containers that I wonder what was in my head when I went to Target. I have friends that brag to me how they spend nothing at a show and I just don't know how they do it. If you find out how to stop spending foolishly don't hesitate to let me know. I am in need! Decafbabe
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 AM

My DH will wish you never posted this. Never heard of this, but now I think I'll have to go. Think it's only a few hours away.
    Gotta find a campground close by.

Originally Posted by mimee4
    Never went to this but am planning to this year.
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:35 AM

Oh, yes. There was a table of used quilt books at super prices. I bought an armload and even went back the next day to get a couple more. I read every one and really only two or three were ones I would use. They sat in my quilting bookcase for a year and now they have been shipped off together with older, basic books and ill-considered fabric purchases to a group I hope can use 'em.

I resist fabric 99 44/100's of the time but it's sure gorgeous displayed at the shows. Since you can't touch the quilts I pet the vendors' stuff. :oops:
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:39 AM

I think quilters going to a quilt show is the same as kids going to the candy/toy store. You just gotta have it!! :lol: :lol: I know I always come home with lots of new goodies. If I live for another 200 years, I might get to use most of it. :lol: But wait- just think of all the other shows I will go to during that 200 years! No way I'd ever get caught up. :lol:
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by decafbabe
    I cannot even go to quilt shows anymore because I spend too much money for things that look great at the time and never use it once I get home. That goes for kits, rulers (got lots of rulers :) ) and tons of plastic storage containers that I wonder what was in my head when I went to Target. I have friends that brag to me how they spend nothing at a show and I just don't know how they do it. If you find out how to stop spending foolishly don't hesitate to let me know. I am in need! Decafbabe
    Cash is your friend! Put some cash and your drivers license in your pocket and off you go! No purse, no wallet -- no ATM card!! Whenever we have an outing that I know can get expensive and we can't afford for it to get expensive I "forget my wallet", and hubby rarely carries his.
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
    Originally Posted by decafbabe
    Cash is your friend! Put some cash and your drivers license in your pocket and off you go! No purse, no wallet -- no ATM card!! Whenever we have an outing that I know can get expensive and we can't afford for it to get expensive I "forget my wallet", and hubby rarely carries his.
    Great tip!! Cash is our friend indeed! It gives us boundaries that a charge card won't!
    Thanks for that great tip!
    Blessings,
    MaryAnna
    Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 AM

You will love the show. Everytime I enter the doorway and look in, my heart starts pounding and I get so excited to see everything that is being offered. Just try to think twice before you buy something or go back to the booth before the show ends. Have a wonderful time. Decafbabe