Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Spiro-Quilt from Sewingbysarah.com? >
  • Spiro-Quilt from Sewingbysarah.com?

• Spiro-Quilt from Sewingbysarah.com?

Old 07-19-2024, 10:38 AM

Default Spiro-Quilt from Sewingbysarah.com?

Has anyone tried this gadget for ruler work/fmq? you use a ruler foot on your DSM, and you use the base as a guide as you create the shapes. For someone like me, who is not talented at FMQ, this looks super neat. Any thoughts?

Betsey
    Old 07-20-2024, 03:23 AM

It does look pretty neat in the video...but she only has a small quilt sandwich under her needle, not a whole quilt. I wonder how difficult it is to keep it all situated when there's an entire quilt up there. It's a very interesting technique though.
    Old 07-20-2024, 07:13 AM

I have done a lot of ruler work quilting on my DMS. I purchased quite a few rulers from sewsteady.com their Westalee rulers mostly. They have so many shapes etc. I have used their: Spin-E-flex rulers, echo templates, and Circles on Quilts rulers, among other rulers they offer. I also have purchased rulers at quiltersrule.com I really like their different shapes and sizes of their rulers.

I usually practice on a few scrap squares first and then making sure my quilt or quilt sections are well supported it isn't really difficult. Even doing a full quilt, you are only working on one section/area at a time, and then moving onto the next area after you do the spiral or shape you want, so even with an entire quilt, as long as the weight of it is supported so the area doesn't slip more than you need it to move, it fairly easy to do, after a couple or few practice runs on the shape/design you want.