Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Splicing pieces -and- Set in seams???? >
  • Splicing pieces -and- Set in seams????

• Splicing pieces -and- Set in seams????

Old 04-13-2011, 01:45 PM

BATTing, butt edges and overcast with either a wide zigzag or an overcasting stitch. No ridges.

For set in seams, I place a pencil mark at the 1/4" seam intersection. I start sewing from the inside point to the outside, this way there is not a chance of ending up with a tuck. Do one side, finger press, then you should be able to just line up the other side, matching the previously sewn seam and pencil mark, aligning the edges of the fabric, and again start sewing from that intersection point to the outside. I take 2 or 3 stitches in place, ( set the machine stitch length to 0 ) exactly in the intersection, placing the needle carefully down into the intersection, take the stitches and then begin sewing at regular stitch length.
    Old 04-13-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by helen's lizzie
    Is there a trick to splicing like the backing on quilts? Like if you need to add on fabric. Or having to add on batting. Is there a way to sew it together, so it does not leave a ridge? I have a long-arm Tin Lizzie for my quilting, it works good on the ridges, but I think I would rather have it more smooth. Also, what is an easy way to do Set in seams? I got two quilting kits that you have to do set in seams. I find it so not fun to sew. Is there a trick to that?

I am new at this message board, but would be so grateful, if any of you could help me out. Helen from ND
    Are you referring to "Y" seams or setting in sleeves? Tutorial for Y seams. http://moonlightquilts.com/2008/04/2...e-y-seam-easy/