Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Spool of thread instead of a wound bobbin? >
  • Spool of thread instead of a wound bobbin?

• Spool of thread instead of a wound bobbin?

Old 11-08-2012, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    There is a reason we should go into the bobbin race area every couple of bobbin fulls. It's called cleaning and oiling your machine.
    Unless one is inclined to take care of her/his machine anyway, refilling a bobbin isn't going to "force" one to do so. This has been proven, by the many machines taken in for repair, due to massive lint build-up.
    Old 11-08-2012, 07:54 AM
    Power Poster

If the bobbin thread is too full the bobbin will not turn. When I start FMQing I load 6 or 7 bobbins and only refill after the last one runs out.
    It is my opinion that Non sewing men design sewing machines. Women that sew and quilt need to get involved for us to see the things we want and like.
    Old 11-08-2012, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mom3
    About a century ago there was the "National Two Spools" machine. You can see an example of the 'spool bobbin' right here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...n-t179788.html

why o why did they ever stop this...if you only had one spool of the thread you could wind a bobbin for the top ...where you could see it.....sooooooooooo wish for a machine that could use a spool of thread for the bobbin and in this age of self threading emb. and serge (blower) and computer tension controls......seems to me the company that makes a long arm machine that uses two spools ...would rule the industry... I have mentioned this to the handi-quilter folks and Bob at superior thread, in the past year.
    Old 11-08-2012, 09:44 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Neesie
    Unless one is inclined to take care of her/his machine anyway, refilling a bobbin isn't going to "force" one to do so. This has been proven, by the many machines taken in for repair, due to massive lint build-up.

True but running out of bobbin thread is a good reminder that something other than replacing the thread should be done. When my machine was newly purchased my dealer recommended I clean and oil after 3 bobbins so I only wind 3 at a time. When I run out and have no prewound bobbins I know it is time to clean and oil my machine and no matter how much I am into sewing at the time I have never deviated from that.

On my LA my dealer told me to clean and put a drop of oil in after every bobbin full so I do. Even when using prewounds. Seems to me if you spend thousands of dollars on a machine (which is how much high end machines and LA cost) you would want to take every step recommended to keep it running smoothly.

I quite honestly can't comprehend not doing such simple maintenance on one's own machine but I am frugal by nature and want my things to last and serve me well.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-08-2012 at 09:47 AM.
    Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    My machine's noise changes slightly when I am running low on bobbin thread. So when I start hearing this more of a rattly noise I know I am low and watch. I bet if some of you really pay close attention you too, will find your machine makes a slightly different noise when bobbin thread is low.
    Yeah, mine does too, but if I'm really concentrating on what I'm stitching I tend not to notice it until too late. Or when the TV is on...
    Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 PM

This is a really interesting thread. I thought I had an "Aha!" moment when I asked hubby why in the world the machine hasn't been invented yet that would use a duplicate spool rather than wound bobbins, us new sewers have a lot of those moments,

That two spool machine is neat, I wonder why they didn't continue upgrading it.

I guess sewing machine companies don't have the billions of dollars the space program does.
    Old 11-08-2012, 01:57 PM

Why not just call your dealer and ask this question? They are my go-to people when there is ever a question about my machines; it's just too risky to try something and ruin a machine that costs thousands of dollars.
    Old 11-08-2012, 02:16 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by CAS49OR

I guess sewing machine companies don't have the billions of dollars the space program does.
    I guess you are not up to date. Space program will be no more.
    Old 11-08-2012, 08:29 PM

I had a Babylock Quilt Pro that I sold about a year ago. Unless yours is a newer model and they have drastically changed the bobbin area I don't see how that would work. Having said that, if you try it and it messes up your machine you have also voided your warranty.
    Old 11-08-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3
    I was even told if the bobbins are larger it might not work as well fmq
    I don't think this is right. The new BabyLock Tiara quilting machine has a bobbin that is about twice the size of a standard bobbin and it FMQ's beautifully.