Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Spools vs cones >
  • Spools vs cones

• Spools vs cones

Old 03-19-2012, 09:47 AM

I use cones because they are more pracital money wise. I do not find that the thread is any stronger or weaker going either way. The same thing applys for my machine embroidery thread.
    Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow
    Sometimes I don't think before I act. I gave away 2 cone holders to a second hand store about 2 months ago and am now reading this thread and realizing I should have kept at least one. Now I need to go buy another one. My sister died and I received them from her estate. Are they expensive and where is the least expensive place to buy the cone holders?
    I bought mine from Superior Threads at a quilt show, but they are also available online. They're good and heavy, which is what is needed so it doesn't tip over. A lot of people make their own - you can probably find some directions on the board if you search.
    Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 AM

Sometimes I don't think before I act. I gave away 2 cone holders to a second hand store about 2 months ago and am now reading this thread and realizing I should have kept at least one. Now I need to go buy another one. My sister died and I received them from her estate. Are they expensive and where is the least expensive place to buy the cone holders?
    I use a jar behind my machine to hold the cone and hang a big safety pin on the thread spool holder on the machine. Then I feed the thread thru the safety pin then thread the machine. I use it for cones and spools too
    Old 03-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Long Creek Mills sells heavy duty thread stands on their website for $7.99. These have a metal base unlike the lightweight ones sold by JoAnn's. The Long Creek Mills website is a bit challenging so click on "products" and then "notions". Great pricing on cone threads which are spooled on-site and they charge fairly for shipping. If you don't see what you need call them .....866-869-6651. I've been buying from them for years.
    Old 03-19-2012, 02:38 PM

I use cones because they end up being less expensive
    Old 03-19-2012, 02:52 PM

I mostly use cones. I do have spools leftover, but won't be buying anymore. I'm just adding more colors to the collection of cones.
    Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 PM

I have lots and I mean LOTS of thread spools. I will use these up before I use cones on my Janome but I do use Cones on my long arm so far only using tans grays and one quilt had to have black thread. Its bad enough when I run out of thread on my bobbin I'd hate to run out of my top thread too! LOL
    Old 03-19-2012, 10:54 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

My sewing machine has a built in cone holder. Perviously, I used one my DH made from a round of wood (about 5" across and 3/4" thick, well sanded. He took a piece of welding rod, made a cirlicue at one end and inserted the other through the wood, near the edge. that is to make the thread go up from the cone. He used a half inch dowel inserted into the middle of the round and screwed it in place from the bottom.

I use cones because they are cheaper and because when I am quilting I go through a lot of thread and hate changing spools. The disadvantage is that there are fewer color choices. If it is the same brand and weight, it is the same strength.
    Old 03-20-2012, 12:57 AM

This is a very interesting discussion about whether or not buying cones or spools being more economical. I have also been wondering the same thing. But wouldn't one save more when buying them on sale. I also would like to keep on hand spools for uses to wind bobbins with so that I would not have to unthread my machine every time I run out of bobbin thread. I think the next time Connecting Threads have their thread sale that I will stock up on thread cones and spools.