Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Spray adhesive users, opinions needed >
  • Spray adhesive users, opinions needed

• Spray adhesive users, opinions needed

Old 07-31-2024, 05:16 AM

I'm another fan of Elmer's Washable School Glue with a small tip. I always place the glue in a bowl of hot water before using, and it thins it out nicely.

Recently, I have used a glue roller bottle applicator. I put it in a bowl of hot water too. Basting is so fast with the glue, and the quilt sandwich never moves after application. The only drawback that some people may not like is having to soak/wash the glue out when finished.

https://www.amazon.com/Taytools-5000...ps%2C80&sr=8-7

Old 07-31-2024, 05:39 AM

I'm also a 505 user, and depending on the size quilt I may get 3 or4 throw size quilts for Project Linus/toddlers out of one can. I also order from Amazon with my free Prime shipping, last time only ordred two cans, it will last me awhile. Still haven't tried the Elmers washable glue basting, even though I've had everything in my Amazon cart to give it a try....somehow I delete it and go back to 505. Why I'm so chicken I don't know.
    Old 07-31-2024, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper
    Still haven't tried the Elmers washable glue basting, even though I've had everything in my Amazon cart to give it a try....somehow I delete it and go back to 505. Why I'm so chicken I don't know.
    I think I know.

In a former life, I was a kindergarten teacher. Elmers glue sounds sticky, icky, and messy. Getting the now hardened glue out of a quilt sounds like a chore. Besides, I think of all the sticky fingers I had helping the little ones with their projects. (Yes, I know it's washable, but sometimes it takes a some elbow grease.)

Also, I often have to reposition my backing, as somehow there is always a bump of some sort in my batting. Getting it unglued would be a chore.

Just my uninformed opinion...

bkay
    Old 07-31-2024, 08:28 AM

I'm a diehard Elmers Washable School Glue person!!! Only way I baste my quilts! I have a mid arm and it holds and quilts beautifully. Washes out completely when finished. Just did 4 throw size quilts yesterday and plan on doing the same today. I give them a quick set with a warm iron and then lay them over the back of the futon in my guest room/office. When I am ready to sit down and quilt, they are ready to go!
    Old 07-31-2024, 12:56 PM
    Power Poster

I use the roller bottle too with Elmers. Best tip I ever gotten from a poster here a few years ago.
    I never had a problem with it being hard, sticky, or messy. I hope I am a little bit better using it then a kindergartener. After basting I steam press the sandwich. Glue is even and no bumps and certainly no hard spots. I don't have to wash the quilt when finished quilting but I usually do.
    Old 08-01-2024, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by bkay
    Also, I often have to reposition my backing, as somehow there is always a bump of some sort in my batting. Getting it unglued would be a chore.
    Good point. I had thought about repositioning. I also like that with 505 I can sandwich the quilt and immediately quilt it. No time spent letting it dry or ironing it dry.

Old 08-01-2024, 10:22 AM

I have never used any spray basting product other than 505 and love it. I use it very sparingly and it holds just fine so I seem to have a can last a long time. I buy the larger cans at an exorbitant price which is why I am frugal with it. No problems repositioning and the stick lasts a long time. I once spray basted a quilt but had only quilted a small portion before needing to store the quilt away for months. When it came out of storage, it was still sticking together and I went on to finish it with no problems or puckers.

I tried the Elmer's glue in a roller bottle once and struggled with spreading the glue. Thanks for the hot water tips, jennr8r.
    Old 08-05-2024, 06:11 AM

I just got an email from Quilt In A Day. They have 505 on sale 50% off for the large can. There is a limit of 4. I bought 4 of them the last time they were on sale and I'm still working on those.
    Old 08-05-2024, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
    I just got an email from Quilt In A Day. They have 505 on sale 50% off for the large can. There is a limit of 4. I bought 4 of them the last time they were on sale and I'm still working on those.
    I just received four large cans from an online sale at a more local store. They were a great deal and should last quite a while. I wonder if these sales are coming directly from the factory.