Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Spray baste query >
  • Spray baste query

• Spray baste query

Old 05-30-2015, 04:38 AM

Default Spray baste query

Why does my can of 505 state in the intructions for use when quilting that I must spray onto the batting and not the fabric? I have to re-baste my quilts' final 5" border (oh my, the anguish of the unpicking...and resewing, and unpicking and weeping...!) and as the body of the quilting is finished including a perimeter line around the quilt at the inside border edge I was hoping I could just lay the quilt on the table, lift up the top/border and the batting, and then spray the wrong side of the backing, lay the batting down, spray the batting and then place the border/top down. Because it is only 5", it's going to be tricky holding the batting up and trying to spray just that narrow section without spraying the rest of my room and my hand if you can picture what I mean.

I can't pin baste this border fabric as it is a weird sort of embossed cotton which is incredibly tough to get pins through, even my fine ones and when I do...the holes left after removal are awful. I wish I hadn't bought this fabric...thought it would be so nice texturally but it has been a real headache to baste as I have used it not only in this border but also throughout the quilt. You live and learn I guess.
    Old 05-30-2015, 04:45 AM
    dd

I would try to just lift and spray and see if it will hold. Did you try clips. I used the large paperclips when I was sewing leather so I didn't get any holes. That was before the clips came out.
    Old 05-30-2015, 05:35 AM

How about basting with Elmer's School Glue? You'd still "paint" it on the batting, but it'd be easier to apply than a spray.
    Old 05-30-2015, 05:39 AM
    Power Poster

I too would suggest Elmer's Washable School Glue. Just a few dabs where you need them would probably work fine. You can even put some on your finger and spread it out if you wanted. I just finished quilting one that I basted entirely with the Washable School glue. Needle glided right through it (it was dry) and I had zero problems.

Sometimes folks think glue basting is instead of spray basting, but, it replaces pin basting in that it doesn't have to cover every inch of the quilt in a thin coating of it. I drizzle it on in a grid, kind of like where the pins would go.

It might work fine in your situation. Good luck with whatever you pick and let us know how it turns out.
    Old 05-30-2015, 10:06 AM

I've used the spray on the fabric side with no ill effect, so I would not fret over it too much.
    Old 05-30-2015, 10:35 AM

I always spray the backing, then lay down the batting and smooth it out. Then I spray the batting and lay down the top. I never have a problem. If I were you, I would try to spray the backing where you can, then smooth out the batting on that.
    Old 05-30-2015, 10:52 AM

I don't use 505 but spray on the fabric all the time with no problems. Try a small section and see how it goes.
    Old 05-30-2015, 12:37 PM

I always spray the fabric. Spraying the batting seems to need more spray. Just a thought.
    Old 05-30-2015, 02:40 PM

I have sprayed both ways ... sometimes the batting some time the fabric... both will work.
    Old 05-30-2015, 06:09 PM

I like to spray the fabric back. When I sprayed the batting it seem harder to position,smooth out to me. Been wondering about this too. My last two lap size I just sprayed the back side, everything seem great.