Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Spray Basting >
  • Spray Basting

• Spray Basting

Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM

I spray baste. IF I had room to pin baste or stitch baste my back wouldn't take it. In my town we don't have anyone that long arms that bastes quilts - not everyone lives where we can just sent out and get the most environmentally friendly whatever.
    Old 01-02-2011, 03:31 PM

I know what you mean! I have bak issues too. there was a time I didn't mind crawling on the floor to pin. even if my knees could take it I probably couldn't straighten up- if i was able to get OFF the floor. some days I feel like I'm falling apart!
    Old 01-02-2011, 03:37 PM

What brand of spray did you use?
    Old 01-02-2011, 03:38 PM

My fingers can't take the pin basting...and I do not enjoy hand sewing at all...so from now on I am spraying...the June Taylor spray did not smell bad and I used a small amount. I will start spraying on the porch, which is all screened in now that I saw that video on wall basting. It was wonderful to sew with no worries about the quilt shifting. I do not want to pay someone to baste my quilts. I want to do the quilts myself. The spray was 12.00 for the can so I doubt someone would want to baste for less than $6.00 a quilt since I did not use 1/4 of the can...
    Originally Posted by misseva
    I spray baste. IF I had room to pin baste or stitch baste my back wouldn't take it. In my town we don't have anyone that long arms that bastes quilts - not everyone lives where we can just sent out and get the most environmentally friendly whatever.
    Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM

I use the June Taylor spray and it does not make the needle gummy. Also, do not find the odor to be overwhelming. A little goes a long way. Also, the window is open and an old sheet is down on the floor.

I have the bent safety pins, to use when necessary but the fingers joints do not like all the movements even with the Kwik opener/closer.

Has anyone ever tried Hair Spray? Any thoughts or any name brands that work the best. But most hair sprays [to me] seem even more toxic just hate it when I smell it at the salon.
    Old 01-02-2011, 03:45 PM

You know what to each his or her own in the way we do our quilts.
    Old 01-02-2011, 03:45 PM

hmmm hair spray now that is an interesting idea....why didn't I think of that...; ) I will be interested in seeing the feedback. I have learned a ton from all of the folks here...I did not even know what basting was a few months ago...
    Old 01-02-2011, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
    I just sprayed my queen size quilt....first time I have ever tried it...LOVED it...It is now ready for me to start quilting in the morning...if you have never tried spray basting I recommend it...I did do it on my kitchen floor and opened the sliding door for fresh air.
    What brand did you use?
    Old 01-02-2011, 04:51 PM

I love spray basting. I use 505. I let it sit overnight so it dries well before stitching. It does not gum up my needle or machine. I have a large roll of wide craft paper of which I cut looooong pieces off and place slightly under and around the quilt to catch the inevitable overspray. Can't do it when DH is home, he'd have a FIT. I do it in the living room. It washes out of the quilt and leave no residue. BTW, I think 505 is acid free, but not sure.
    Old 01-02-2011, 04:56 PM

omgggg dont you just love it , i have been using the spray for the last 5 or 6 years , i will never go back to pinning