Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • square in a square ruler and books >
  • square in a square ruler and books

• square in a square ruler and books

Old 03-31-2009, 09:41 AM

I have the ruler and book but just dont use it. Have to learn all over every time and it does waste fabric.

If you use a center sq that is cut at 4 3/4 in then use two 4 in sqs cut on the diagional. Press the center sq in half both ways so you have a line to line up the point of the triangles to. Sew on triangles then sq up to 6 1/2 inchs. This fits into a 12 in sq very nicely.
    Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
    I have the ruler and book but just dont use it. Have to learn all over every time and it does waste fabric.

If you use a center sq that is cut at 4 3/4 in then use two 4 in sqs cut on the diagional. Press the center sq in half both ways so you have a line to line up the point of the triangles to. Sew on triangles then sq up to 6 1/2 inchs. This fits into a 12 in sq very nicely.
    what are you squaring up to 6.5"? if you cut and fold and attach, it makes your 12" square in square. i don't get the 6.5" part.
    Old 03-31-2009, 11:04 AM

Hi,

Ihave the ruler and an additional one that makes it possible to make bigger squares. There are ways to use it that don't waste so much fabric. I have two quilts that I used that method on that turned out very well. One of my quilts had blocks made on my embroidery machine. Since it only makes a 4" motif I enlarged the blocks by setting them on point. It does leave you with lots of bias edges but you can work with them if you starch the fabric first. I am not the world's greatest piecer but I had few problems with it. It has markings for 60 and 90 degree angles. I get the two of them mixed up occasionlly. I think it was worth the money.
    Old 03-31-2009, 12:57 PM

To get to Anita Solomon's demos on Simply Quilts:
    http://www.makeitsimpler.com/homepage2.html
    and click on Watch Anita on Simply Quilts.
    You can also find some here
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/pac_ct..._leader/text/0,,DIY_26336_67830,00.html
    Has anyone tried Anita's method? I have her first book and some paper, but that is as far as I've gone. She, also, is a member of Stashbusters. There is a thread by her regarding square in a square on the site.
    Mary Ellen
    Old 03-31-2009, 01:24 PM

Patrice is right all around! My biggest problem is the bias edges. I don't care to use starch or glue or any other chemicals on my quilts, but the bias edges are just a bad idea. It's just as easy to use other techniques that don't cause this situation.

We had a lady come and teach this class when I was working at an LQS. I didn't think it was worth the money.
    Old 03-31-2009, 01:33 PM

http://www.hgtv.com/videos/super-fas...ting/4431.html

THIS is WAY COOL! I am going up to my sewing room now to do this. :lol:
    Old 03-31-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by emmy
    To get to Anita Solomon's demos on Simply Quilts:
    http://www.makeitsimpler.com/homepage2.html
    and click on Watch Anita on Simply Quilts.
    You can also find some here
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/pac_ct..._leader/text/0,,DIY_26336_67830,00.html
    Has anyone tried Anita's method? I have her first book and some paper, but that is as far as I've gone. She, also, is a member of Stashbusters. There is a thread by her regarding square in a square on the site.
    Mary Ellen
    i can't use DYI network info. i have mac. incompatible.
    Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 AM

Okay - I did 20 blocks like that last night. It was easy to cut. I also used a soapstone pencil to mark the board. It comes off with a damp rag. I would like to sharpen my pencil better to get a finer line. I am also thinking that I could position the pattern so that I would be cutting on the lines on the mat. If I can get that to work, I will post a picture.

The blocks pieced up nicely. I sewed triangles on opposite sides of the square, pressed them outward and then sewed on the other two triangles. It really went very quickly. I am not sure if they are perfectly square (I was sewing pretty quickly and I was getting tired,) but I haven't measured them. I think that if you wanted a specific size of finished square, you would have to do some experimentation to determine the size of your initial squares.

I made some "fussy cut" - style blocks, and that was easy, too! I just centered the motif in the initial square.
    Old 04-01-2009, 06:45 AM

cathe, so glad to hear that.

i was able to get THAT tute and i could see the potential.that teacher usually does pp but i can see the potential with this.

i don't know if you can use it for anything else, but who cares. you can stack so many it must go whizzing by. how many could you comfortably stack?
    Old 04-01-2009, 06:48 AM

That's totally a matter of personal preference. I can cut 8 comfortably and 12 if I concentrate on it. You can cut more if you use the 60 mm cutter, but I am too cheap to buy that and perfectly content with my 45 mm. Once you have all your 8" (or whatever) squares cut, it's easy to flop down a bunch of them and slice. even if you only wanted to do 2 or 4 at a time, it's still much faster than alternative methods.