Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • SR Harris Fabric Outlet, anyone been there? >
  • SR Harris Fabric Outlet, anyone been there?

• SR Harris Fabric Outlet, anyone been there?

Old 07-14-2012, 06:51 PM

Default SR Harris Fabric Outlet, anyone been there?

I am going to go viset my sis in Wi and am wondering if anyone has been to SR Harris Fabric Outlet,in Mn. I will be up there for A month so we will have lots time to do some shop hoping.
    Thanks for any infor you can give us.
    mtspools
    Old 07-14-2012, 07:22 PM
    Power Poster

Yes! They have a website and (supposedly, anyway) change their coupons once a month:
    http://www.srharrisfabric.com/ . I haven't seen a coupon for batiks (60% off) in a long time, though.

Regardless of coupons, all fabrics are 50% of marked price. It is a huge warehouse with fabrics of many different types, not just quilting cottons. They have quite a few Timeless Treasures batiks on rolls, and I have found extra-wide batik backing fabrics there. They also have a lot of novelty and children's cottons, plus dressmaking fabrics.

It is a cut-your-own-fabric place! You do have to find an employee to cut for you if you want more than 5 yards of a fabric, or for silk fabric (look for the signs that tell you the limits). Otherwise you are expected to measure and cut your own fabrics. For each fabric you create an adhesive sticker with #yards and posted price per yard (they take 50% off everything automatically at the cashier's desk).

The prices used to be a lot better when it was owned by the elderly native New York guy (from the garment district). A few years ago he sold it to what appear to be a couple of younger Russian owners. The recession hasn't helped. Anyway, the last time I went there (sometime last year) the Timeless Treasure batiks were marked $14/yard, which at 50% off amounted to $7/yard.
    Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Haven't been there since we moved, so I can't really speak to any changes that may have occurred since Sid left, but it was always a wonderful adventure when he was there. Just loved the place.
    Old 07-14-2012, 08:38 PM
    Power Poster

If it hasn't changed overly much - definitely worth the stop - there is a Mill End Textiles fairly close to S R Harris, too - and I think Blue Bamboo is also in the vicinity - google quilt shops and make a day of shopping on the northwest side of Minneapolis.
    Old 07-15-2012, 05:19 AM

sounds very intresting --thanks to all