Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Sta Flo liquid starch >
  • Sta Flo liquid starch

• Sta Flo liquid starch

Old 05-29-2024, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    My grandmother use to make starch and it was heated and stirred. She added laundry bluing to it to make it sky blue. I haven't seen laundry bluing in years. That is good stuff.
    I vaguely remember my mom making starch and "cooking" it on the stove. I haven't seen laundry bluing in ages either.
    Old 05-29-2024, 12:39 PM
    Power Poster

My grandmother always added bluing to all white loads. The whites came out dazzling. I used it to grow crystals for a science project one year.
    Old 05-30-2024, 05:52 AM

Holy cow! Just checked several area stores (Finger Lakes in NY) as well as stores near our winter home in FL. NONE of them have Stay-Flo in stock. A half gallon is $23 to be shipped, or $40 for 2 w/ free shipping! Amazon offers a dry starch that is "pre-gelatinized", makes 3 gallons, no boiling needed, the brand is Simpli Starch as well as another laundry starch liquid concentrate, Linit, for $16.

I wonder if this is a temporary blip in the supply. How long does this stuff keep, prior to mixing? It's still available at School Specialty for $7.49. You have to set up an account, and shipping is $11.95 unless you spend over $69. The bottle on my shelf has no expiry date on it, making me think it would keep for quite some time. They also sell newsprint at a good price, if you are into foundation paper piecing.
    Old 05-30-2024, 05:55 AM

It's interesting that they might be discontinuing it now. It's an ingredient in the very popular "slime" that kids like to play with, so it seems like they'd be selling more than in the past.
    Old 05-30-2024, 06:20 AM
    Power Poster

I would guess the company is maybe doing a rebranding of the product. It will be targeted more for crafts, different packaging and much higher price.
    Old 05-31-2024, 01:57 AM

I did receive a reply to the email I sent asking the company (Henkel) if Sta Flo was being discontinued, below is their response:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us for information about the availability of St-Flo Starch.
    We understand the difficulties in locating the product. The product is in minimal distribution that it may be hard to really be found. It is possible the store may be temporarily out-of-stock, or management may not realize the demand for the item. If you can't find the product, on the shelf at your preferred store, please speak with the Store Manager. Surely our Manufacturing Team will also be notified and be made aware of the demand of the product.Thank you for contacting us and have a wonderful day!Sincerely,
    Team CleanHenkel Consumer Affairs

Unfortunately, they did not directly answer the question about discontinuing production. I do know that at the 2 Wal Marts I have checked, there in no longer a place on the shelf for it.
    Old 05-31-2024, 04:56 AM
    Power Poster

The product is in minimal distribution

Because the stores aren't ordering it or because not enough made to order? Really odd. According to Walmart manager the starch had been ordered but not available anymore from the warehouse.
    Old 05-31-2024, 06:51 AM

Well not one store in a 20 mile radius in my area has it. Seems to be another victim of inflation and reorganization in challenging times. I hope someday it comes back, I settled on this when they discontinued Niagara in the spray bottles. I am NOT a fan of Best Press. I like my fabrics like my booze, stiff!
    Old 05-31-2024, 10:23 AM

I had an empty spray bottle and I tried the regular corn starch and water. It worked. Nice crisp edge to a fold. No idea how long it will last or if it will sour but I am happy for now.
    Old 05-31-2024, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by cria3202
    The product is in minimal distribution that it may be hard to really be found.
    That is a really bizarre way of putting that, grammatically speaking.

Originally Posted by tallchick
    I like my fabrics like my booze, stiff!
    I'm thinking something else but am not gonna say it!! 😆

My favorite was also the Niagra in non-aerosol spray. They've since replaced it with a new product, but it's not the same and doesn't have the same stiffness.