Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • stained glass quilts >
  • stained glass quilts

• stained glass quilts

Old 11-01-2010, 03:47 AM

I have done several on the religious theme and you can also place the material you have cut out on a black background leaving a space inbetween which makes it look like stained glass. It's very easy and the end results look the same.
    Old 11-01-2010, 03:48 AM
    Power Poster

my nephew made his first stained glass quilt using coloring book pages of animals...a kangaroo, turtle, rabbit...i don't know what all, he found free coloring book pages on line, printed off the ones he wanted to use, enlarged them to the size he wanted to use. then he used paper-back fusable, copied his applique shapes. (no seam-allowances added)fused them onto his background fabric, then used the pre-made fusable bias tape (from clover, comes in different widths; he used 1/4" applied the tape around his applique pieces then used a zigzag stitch the width of the bias tape to stitch every thing in place.
    stained glass applique is a very forgiving technique with fabulous results...jump in and make something, YOU WILL LOVE IT!
    Old 11-01-2010, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Aussie Quilter
    I've been hand stitching a reverse applique Celtic BOM which uses black iron on bias. I hate it! it doesn't matter how I iron it on - you definitely need to use a HOT DRY iron - it always manages to lift in some places. I have it pinned everywhere. There are 12 side blocks - have almost finished #11 - and one centre block 36" x 36". That one is going to be a nightmare! The only way I think I'm going to be able to do that is to iron on a small section, stitch it, then iron on another small section...
    Have you tried good old washable Elmers School Glue??
    Old 11-01-2010, 05:29 AM

Heaven help you all who start stained glass. It is REALLY addictive. It's not hard to do but you need patience and time. I've tried several ways but my favorite is using black (or color of choice) tape and stitching it on with a twin needle.

I put all my pattern pieces on double sided iron on, cut them out and press them to the backing. Then following the diagram, and the is always one, add my tape. I've had some beautiful results.
    So far, I have used purchased tape with 50% coupons but my projects have been no bigger than card table size. I would make my own tape if I did a quilt or large wall hanging. Tape is expensive and getting very hard to find.
    Old 11-01-2010, 05:32 AM

I love these!

Originally Posted by redpurselady
    Here are mine - I have made 3 sets already and they are lots of fun to make. I buy fusible black bias with my Joann coupons and then sew it down with a twin needle.
    Old 11-01-2010, 05:34 AM

Just gorgeous, simply gorgeous!

Originally Posted by Izaquilter
    My friend has 18" of her intestines taken out & I found this pattern for us to work on while she recouperated. Little did I know that it would be weeks before she was up to it but we did wind up doing it & I loved it. This one was very simple.
    Old 11-01-2010, 05:52 AM

There is a wonderful machine stitched cathedral window tutorial on this board. Do a search. I have made two & have orders for more. If I think it is easy -- it is!
    Old 11-01-2010, 06:56 AM

This is a block that I made for a church quilt. I used an iron-on charcoal-colored bias tape and then hand-stitched it down. I didn't have a problem with it holding long enough for me to sew it down, but I only applied it as I layered the pieces--first the stained glass, then the ribbon, then the bird, then the perimeter. If I applied a lot of the bias tape at once, I can certainly see it lifting while I was manipulating the block. So I might suggest ironing it down a little at a time as the project progressed.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-117174.jpe  
    Old 11-01-2010, 06:58 AM

Bias for stained glass. If you use the narrow bias you can use a double needle and sew both sides of the bias down at the same time. If I remember correctly it was a fusible bias, so stayed in place while I sewed with the double needle. The needle was the one with the widest distance between needles. Can't remember the size number on that either. Its been several years since I took that class.
    Old 11-01-2010, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    my nephew made his first stained glass quilt using coloring book pages of animals...a kangaroo, turtle, rabbit...i don't know what all, he found free coloring book pages on line, printed off the ones he wanted to use, enlarged them to the size he wanted to use. then he used paper-back fusable, copied his applique shapes. (no seam-allowances added)fused them onto his background fabric, then used the pre-made fusable bias tape (from clover, comes in different widths; he used 1/4" applied the tape around his applique pieces then used a zigzag stitch the width of the bias tape to stitch every thing in place.
    stained glass applique is a very forgiving technique with fabulous results...jump in and make something, YOU WILL LOVE IT!
    Great idea. I do stained glass (with glass) as well as sewing, and find that colouring books are a great source of patterns. . They're available in so many themes and the outlines are usually simple enough to blow up and convert easily for work with either glass or applique...or in this case I guess a combination of the two.

Hmmm...never tried to combine the two. There's a scary but fun thought.