Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stand up sewing >
  • Stand up sewing

• Stand up sewing

Old 01-14-2017, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK
    Quilterpurpledog, at Weight Watchers we call your movement planned inefficiency or planned wasted steps. I purposefully keep my ironing board in another room so I have to move,as well. I just thought the idea of a quick adjustment to stand for a while would be neat....never thought of the vibrations. Maybe someone can invent such a thing and go on Shark Tank for funding!!!!
    I have a fairly large sewing room and keep my ironing board on the other side of the room from my sewing machine so I have to get up and walk around the table to get to it. I heard a retired chiropractor who taught sewing talking about the necessity of getting up and moving around and not just sitting long ago. She advised making things not so convenient so you have to do that. I'm up and down when I'm sewing because I'm usually doing laundry, rustling dogs, doing other stuff at the same time. It does slow my sewing down, but it makes my body feel much better.
    Old 01-14-2017, 11:28 AM

I have a friend who puts her sewing machine on her ironing board and stands up to sew. There is a wooden board under the machine to stop "bounce" She has been doing this for many many years.
    Old 01-14-2017, 06:02 PM

I have my old viking mega quilter sitting on a corner of my cutting table and sew with it all the time. Its been there since I got a nolting fun quilter to replace it as my quilting machine and thats going on 8 years now,i think. It doesn't vibrate that much unless you are sewing pedal to the medal! Which I don't! Anna
    Old 01-15-2017, 05:33 AM

I have one sewing machine located at one end of my cutting table to sew on long borders and binding onto my quilts. This gives me plenty of room to lay the quilt on instead of having it hang over the side. My main sewing machine is up against a wall as I have no where else to put it so my quilts will bunch up in the back. Since the other machine is on the cutting table I do have to stand for this. I'm looking into finding just the right height stool to put there as standing for such a long time hurts my feet and back.
    Old 01-15-2017, 07:35 AM

I had a old table glass top that I put on 4 cabinets that I bought cheap. I use it for cutting and stand up sewing. No bouncing or wiggling. Works like a dream.
    Old 01-15-2017, 08:01 AM

Look into Martelli Work stations. They look $$ but if you check them out at a demo at your local shop or a Quilt Show they are very reasonable. They raise up and down and also tilt. They are amazing!
    Old 01-15-2017, 10:14 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by busy fingers
    I have a friend who puts her sewing machine on her ironing board and stands up to sew. There is a wooden board under the machine to stop "bounce" She has been doing this for many many years.
    I do this too when I need to use a machine that I don't have room to keep set up all the time. Usually it's my serger. I made 12 pairs of pajama pants a couple years ago with my serger sitting on my ironing board.

Cari
    Old 01-15-2017, 10:27 AM

If you go to the Arrow sewing furniture website, they make a table that is adjustable in height, I think it's called the Tasmanian or something like that. It's listed in with their 2nd line of sewing furniture which is the Aussie line (the one that has the Dingo table). I think it's pretty pricey, but not nearly as pricey as the Martelli height adjustable table.

Rob
    Old 01-15-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by rryder
    If you go to the Arrow sewing furniture website, they make a table that is adjustable in height, I think it's called the Tasmanian or something like that. It's listed in with their 2nd line of sewing furniture which is the Aussie line (the one that has the Dingo table). I think it's pretty pricey, but not nearly as pricey as the Martelli height adjustable table.

Rob
    i just bought the Tasmanian table. I love it. I will not use it standing up, but will set my chair for a counter height table. It's awful on my knees getting up and down. I can't wait to get the plexi insert for around my machine!
    Old 01-15-2017, 06:46 PM

standing tables are already marketed in Albuquerque. I saw one at the sewing center the last time I was there. It was beautiful and pricey. I'd never even considered such an idea until I saw that cabinet 3 weeks ago.