Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Start blocks or not to start blocks...... >
  • Start blocks or not to start blocks......

• Start blocks or not to start blocks......

Old 05-06-2014, 07:03 AM
    Power Poster

I've got all kinds of projects going on and another came up this weekend. Went to Petsmart. DH just had to look at the "puppies and kitties". We decided our 2 "fur babies" needed new blankets so we're both working on new for ours and donating theirs (after washing) and making a few more. Yes I have other projects but he went into the closet and found couple old sheets and started cutting and sewing. Been a long time since he's stated why not finish this first then the next. Glad we have 2 sewing machines.
    Old 05-06-2014, 07:54 AM

Oh yes, working on more than one project might just keep "burn out" at bay.
    Old 05-06-2014, 08:43 AM

Obliviously your heart isn't into the one you Already started so do the new one and then later it's "want to finish that one" later!
    Old 05-06-2014, 11:21 AM
    Power Poster

Go with what excites you, to keep your quilting fresh and exciting. Remember, quilts sometimes have to age like fine wine before they can be finished. That goes for quilt tops and fabric too.
    Old 05-06-2014, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter
    I like to have different projects going in different stages. This way when I gat bored doing one type task, I can do something different but am still making progress. At least that' how I justify multipke projects!
    I find the same. I keep myself highly motivated by moving back and forth between projects.

Sometimes things on a project are tedious or even difficult. This can cause us to get bored or frustrated. By having different projects in various stages, it definitely keeps me going much faster and I'm sure that I get a lot more done because of it!

So, I'd say, esp. if you know/sense you are not doing anything because of your own rules, then "CHANGE the rules" as you are in charge--not your mom, your neighbor or those of us here on this board or a local quilt guild. So, do what ever it takes to keep yourself motivated. Making a quilt isn't like some other projects such as making dinner, for example, where it is best to go ahead and focus on it alone--I'd say that a lot of people who do creative things have several projects in various stages at any given time.
    Old 05-06-2014, 03:34 PM

Right now, I have three scrappy patterns in progress. Never a dull moment around here.
    Old 05-06-2014, 04:21 PM

I just borrow a word from grandpa, I have to take time to "cogitate" on the first one while working on the second, or third, or fifth, or......lol.
    Old 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM

Me too, always have more than one in progress. I can work on what inspires me during my sewing time. Right now, I have handwork cut out for wool project, a picnic quilt partially sewn and a quilt of valor on the frame for quilting. I have two more quilts in the design stage in my head, an I Spy toddler quilt and another older girl floral quilt for Project Linus. And sometimes I just want to look at magazines and pet the fabric.
    Old 05-06-2014, 08:56 PM

Sometimes you need inspiration to finish the overdue quilts. I have to many and I would rather start new so that's what I do. I'm making a list and of projects that need finishing and am going to start with the hard ones first and then check them off as I go. I do hard first cuz then when you get to the easy ones it goes faster and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel that way. Hope that helps you.
    nancy, California
    Old 05-09-2014, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Hmmm I tend to start the new blocks but now I have a lot of UFO. Is there any way you can work on the old project for some of the time or on all odd days and then start the new blocks on even days. I am now starting to work on all the UFOs but it is slow go. wished I had not let it come this far.
    Good idea!