Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Starting Early Christmas Gifts >
  • Starting Early Christmas Gifts

• Starting Early Christmas Gifts

Old 01-15-2014, 08:32 AM

Thanks for this thread! I usually wait til July to work on Christmas projects but this year I decided I'd do them all year long since I have so many projects that don't get finished in time. I'll watch this thread for ideas and inspiration. Every year I make a quilty ornament for my granddaughters although this past year I made the paint brush santas that were all over the net! I'll learn how to post pictures and share past ornies soon.
    Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

making my to do list this week and then finishing the 2 quilts that were supposed to go out for the holidays. I hope I still have internet next month to check this thread for everyone's ideas and progress. If you don't hear from me Lynnie . . . I'll be back eventually.
    Old 01-15-2014, 09:09 AM

For this past Christmas I FINALLY made quilted gifts for most of my daughter, my nieces and my sisters and sister-in laws. I made them all Christmas themed, paper-pieced potholders (made 48 of them all together) and a quilted table runner. Each of the table runners were from the MSQ shop 10" half hexi table runner pattern (9 of them), but I dressed them all up a bit with a lot of metallic fabric, flanges and glittery ric rack. That pattern is SO easy, takes only a little over an hour to complete the entire top, and can very easily be made a little more formal if one likes. I thought that I would be sick of Christmas sewing/quilting after that, but last week I made an Eleanor Burns, Quilt in A Day, Log Cabin Wreath wallhanging, and when I get home from traveling plan to make a few more of those. More than anything I am intent on using up a whole bunch of my Christmas fabrics, because I have SO much of it, and have promised I won't buy ANY MORE until almost all of what I have now is gone. I have plans also to make the daughter, nieces and sisters Christmas purses for next Christmas, and to start making something (most likely lap quilts) for my brothers, brothers in-law, son and nephews. I have decided that before I die EVERYONE I love gets something made/quilted especially for them from me. And I LOVE Christmas, so Christmas sewing just might be my go to thing all year.
    Old 01-15-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Taughtby Grandma
    If I started my Christmas list now, by the time Christmas gets here I will have forgotten what I made for whom and where I hid it. lol
    Well, there is that point!!! I think I will get a big plastic tote to hold finished items as I go along and pin a note to each one so I don't forget. One of my goals is to make some felt and fabric gift bags, too so maybe I'll even get them wrapped as I go along! (here's hoping I don't crash and burn!!!). Lol.
    Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 AM

I am trying to get 2 new baby quilts done - and a UFO from last year....but i have been making lists in my notebook of wanna do's........ And for Lynnie...... around here it's always been..."never put off til tomorrow what you can get out of all together"
    Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I love the thought but in theory what i make now probably wont be what ill want to give them then.... Let alone find where i stashed the darn thing !!!

Every summer i find boxes and bags that were suppose to be stocking stuffers or santa gifts that i well, either forgot all about, or just couldn't plain remember where they were. lol..

BUT ill always keep making scrappies with no one in mind..
    Old 01-15-2014, 10:45 AM
    Power Poster

I am finishing up some UFO's that were intended for Christmas, so when those are finished I will have a head start on Christmas. After having shoulder surgery last May, I want to start projects so I'm not in a panic mode to finish by Christmas. Our DGD did get her "big girl" quilt for Christmas, but I was sewing the binding one hour before we had to leave. Not doing that again. (I hope!!!)
    Old 01-15-2014, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie
    Anyone start their Christmas gifts yet this year????
    I just finished my first quilt top, it's a Jelly roll.

Any good ideas floating around?
    Maybe we can post pics here to inspire everyone, and
    to get moving on the holiday we know is coming.
    Thanks Lynnie I think this is a great plan. Have you thought of beginning a monthly post to see if those of us who are beginning this will keep on track? Cause I too fall under the influence of your ending quote!! I have one quilt at the LA now hope to get it back this Fri and get the binding on. (it's a Valentine for our youngest GD) We give gifts all year through and have a great time doing it this way. Christmas gifts are usually given at Thanksgiving so the kids can enjoy them thru the entire Christmas season and beyond.
    Thanks again!
    Old 01-15-2014, 11:21 AM
    Power Poster

So I don't forget where I put things..... small stuff, like jewelry, notpads, stocking stuffers, I put in a kitchen drawer. I know it's crazy there, but when I come in the house, I go to the kitchen first. so I cleared a small drawer and stuff goes there. If I see something in a store I think some people will like, I put it there too.
    as far as what I make. I live in a condo and have 2 hugh hall closets, about 6-7 feet long. when I finish a quilt, throw, stocking, I put it on a hanger in that closet. this way, I know where my stuff is. I AM NOT ORGANIZED.NOT EVEN CLOSE TO IT. i' adhd so i'm the farthest thing from organized. but that's where I put my stuff. my projects i'm working on are all over the house where I left it last.
    maybe thru this thread, I prompted some people to get a head start on the inevitable
    happy quilting all. and show some pics.
    Old 01-15-2014, 11:28 AM

I made a promise to myself that I would finish at least one Christmas gift a month in 2014. This past Christmas I was so overwhelmed I've still not recovered. There is someone who does a blog- - can't remember who but she writes about one project a month for Christmas. When I read her entry I promised myself I would follow her plan.