Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Starting Early Christmas Gifts >
  • Starting Early Christmas Gifts

• Starting Early Christmas Gifts

Old 01-16-2014, 06:40 AM

I have decided to make my sister a scrabble quilt. I am putting their last name across the middle and then all their names put in place like a scrabble board. You use layer cake. I got this idea from Missouri Star/Jenny
    Old 01-16-2014, 09:47 AM

What are you making for Valentines Day. I still have time in between two quilts but have never made anything for that holiday.
    Old 01-16-2014, 10:01 AM

Mug rugs are so fun and make great gifts, especially to have in case you forgot someone at work, the librarian or someone who drops by with a 'token' for you ... have them made and ready to hand out. I wish I followed this myself, LOL! I LOVE mug rugs, they satisfy that need to quilt without it being a huge project.

Now, I am behind in making Halloween quilts for 6 grands, and so many other quilts that I want to make, but what, oh I'm here at the board!
    Old 01-16-2014, 10:54 AM
    Power Poster

for valentines day for my cousin i'm making a heart shaped pillow. on white in hot pink thread, I embroidered their names. cut out the heart shape. out of the main fancy fab, I cut out a heart and gathered bridal illusion and stitched it down around the edges of the heart main fabric, then appliqued the name part. the back ground is about 12" across the appliqued name pc is about 4" across then over the edges of the appliqued pc with the name I put a beaded bridal trim over the seam. then there's a ruffle 5" in half with a lace ruffle over it. it comes out pretty and it's my own design. if I can get someone to post a pic, I will. next, i'm off to do more Christmas.

oh btw, I saw kits for the folded star ornament, you know the round one, kits were...$23, unbelievable!!!!! we must value our work.
    Old 01-18-2014, 08:00 AM

I loved reading thru this thread, its giving me the umpf to get started for 2014 Christmas, I have tablerunners, pillowcases knitted dishcloths, and dish towels, ornaments and I don't know what else. Everyone likes pot holders. Good Luck everyone with all your projects
    Old 01-18-2014, 08:29 AM

Good idea, I do begin thinking about them but then find other things to stat instead !
    Old 01-18-2014, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Taughtby Grandma
    If I started my Christmas list now, by the time Christmas gets here I will have forgotten what I made for whom and where I hid it. lol
    As I buy or make Christmas gifts thoughout the year I put them in the bathtub in the 2nd bathroom. My grandkids have figured that out -- I sometimes hear them whispering they need to check out the presents in the tub. I made doll clothes last year and didn't put them in the tub and haven't found them yet!
    Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 AM
    Power Poster

Nammie, a big lol. I used to do that, and find the Christmas present for easter. so now I put my finished projects in the hall closet, some on hangers too. just got my son valentines jr. mints at joanns, hope I remember where I put them. I just came from Jaonns, and the Christmas fab is still 60% off, i'm waiting for it to go lower, or to use a 15% off coupon on it. I like to make the hotcakes pot holders too. you cut out the hotcakes guys and back with a fabric. make two of these, slit the plain fab and turn inside out. now put both slit sides tog, so the hotties are out side and stitch around. I put one pc. of insulabrite between because you have two layers when put tog. real cute. and those hotties come in for every holiday.
    Old 02-04-2014, 08:29 PM

ok, I have these 2 Christmas baskets done for Christmas 2014. I have to sew some buttons on yet. I have 13 more cut and ready to quilt.
    I made these little Kleenex tissue holders also. I have a drawer in my sewing room where I stash gifts for later. I just bought some hand cream mini's and body gel, I have emery boards and such. Little hand sanitizers, anything so small that will go into these baskets. A little tulle and some ribbon and I am ready! I just need to keep sewing and finding those little bargains and hiding.
    Attached Thumbnails christmas-baskets.jpg  

Last edited by deedum; 02-04-2014 at 08:32 PM.
    Old 02-04-2014, 08:38 PM
    Power Poster

great little boxes and tissue covers. a little bit here and there adds up.
    good for you!