Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Starting a Sewing Bee at a Nursing Home.....Help Needed >
  • Starting a Sewing Bee at a Nursing Home.....Help Needed

• Starting a Sewing Bee at a Nursing Home.....Help Needed

Old 09-22-2010, 05:34 AM

I would be happy to donate material for what ever you decide to do
    Old 09-22-2010, 06:06 AM

Oh how I wish I could help you,live too far away but dont forget the knitters,too, many elders with poor eyesight can and do knit. Newborns always need little caps.Jo
    Old 09-22-2010, 06:07 AM

Oh how I wish I could help you,live too far away but dont forget the knitters,too, many elders with poor eyesight can and do knit. Newborns always need little caps.Jo
    Old 09-22-2010, 06:35 AM

BLESS YOU!!!!!!
    I am curently a critical care nurse but spent many many years of my earlier career in long term care,Well to be exact from age 16 to age 36.The elders are my passion in nursing,I could go on and on but will try spare you lol.
    There will be many diffrent levels of ability there . May I suggest letting those with a dementia type mindstate that may wander in and out of the activity have a box of fabric scraps they can rummage through,sort etc as they will not be able to use needles scissors ect.I used to bring things like tangled yarn and fabric scraps to occupy some of the ladies especially that used to do crafts and were no longer able to.Well I am flooded with possibilities for this kind act but I think you are getting plenty.To keep expenses down I would shop at thrift stores yard sales etc,and not be concerned with fabric type,remember some of these folks used EVERYTHING! I do have to tell a quick story of a lady that missed her sewing so much that when we discovered it we brought her scraps (that is what she requested) well the housekeepers were complaining that Nettalee was useing too many papertowels and toilet paper and was sure that any time the toilet would clog,well we soon discovered when we got gifts of potholders from nettalee what she was using for the stuffing! I still 20 years later have my pot holder and pincushion that she made very painstakenly I might add because she was nearly blind.(WE took turns supplying her with threaded needles for the day)They have a special place in my sewing room. I know I got carried away here but this topic is close to my heart and you made my day,thank you.

If you need donations post here and I am sure you will get help,I will be glad to send,it is important not to let it become a burden,also perhaps involve other family members this would be great for the grand and great grandchildren to get involved with to help thread needles cut fabric etc.

Thank you ,
    Rae
    Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 AM

The can crochet, too, but I think one project (quilting) would be enough for one person and maybe someone else can volunteer to help those who quilt or crochet.

I am making lap quilts for the homes, but due to some physical problems, I can't volunteer any more. I may call one of the homes and see how many walkers there are and make bags for walkers, too. Not sure what I'm going to do yet - or which project besides the lap quilts.
    Old 09-22-2010, 07:03 AM

Rae - bless your heart; thank you so much for your contribution to the nursing homes.
    I'd like to add that we did some aprons like with different things on them for the local nursing home.. They loved the feel of satin type fabric and would rub it all day long - so anything that would feel good to the hands works wonders. By having a corner of it attached to the apron, none will get lost.
    Have you see some of them will keep hankies and just keep moving them around in their hands.
    Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 AM
    PJO

This is such a nice thing for you to do! This will really give them something to look forward to.

I also think lap quilts would be nice as they are something they can use themselves or share with others.

May God bless you for sharing your time and talent with these folks.
    Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Okay everyone pretty much knows that we had to put my FIL in a nursing home a few weeks ago. Well this place is in a small town and feels more like your grandmas home than what it really is. The place is full of love and caring folks and everyone just love living there including my FIL.

I was talking to the director and was asking if they have a quilting bee per se but they do not. Then my wife suggested that I start one for them and the director thought it was a brilliant idea. SO I am going to bring a couple of my treadles up there (Lord knows I have plenty) and I am going to work with the ladies and men who want to participate in it.

Now there is the thing that I am having a difficult time with......what are we going to make.

Now I know there are ladies up there that know so much about quilting and I am really looking forward to learning from them and I am also looking forward to seeing them use my treadles and bring back wonderful memories. :)

Other than this group I have never been in a quilting group much less taken a class a day in my life. I am like Eddie I just looked at a quilt one day and said "it cant be that hard" and there I go!!

So how would you guys handle something like this? I am not sure how many ladies will be participating but I plan on buying all of the materials and supplies and I am looking forward to reliving the good old days. This will also give me a chance to have an active role in the home and I can see Paw Paw more often than just once or twice a week. ;)

Billy
    You might put an article in the local newspaper and ask for donations. You'd be surprised how many family members have lost a loved one and have no idea where to get rid of "?"s stash. My ASG gets loads of donated fabric. We use it for our charitable work.
    Old 09-22-2010, 02:59 PM

This is such a wonderful idea! Warm Wishes pattern makes a nice lap quilt. Older people feel the cold more quickly, also when they are more sedentary, like watching TV, they like to be covered. I am sure you will get lots of donations if you just speak up! We all have orphans.
    Old 09-22-2010, 04:48 PM

I say yes indeed! I'm a nurse and work at a nsg home. I think it's a great idea. Lots of those lil old ladies would love that! They need something to occupy their time and they just love the company and attention! Them are my babies!