Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • stash organization - I've got it all! >
  • stash organization - I've got it all!

• stash organization - I've got it all!

Old 05-04-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt
    I've got the coloroplast boards cut and ready to go.
    I've got the plastic coated large paper clips.
    I've got the cake boards from Joanns with coupon.
    I've got the comic book boards. 100 for $8 to cut in half for 200.
    I've got the plastic paper clips.
    I've got the milk crates.
    I've got the pony tail holders.
    I have an entertainment center to put it all in.
    I've got everything suggested here on this board for organizing my stash except:

The motivation to get up and go do it!

I think I'm overwhelmed with looking at the 10+ plastic tubs I need to empty out.

Somebody give me a big push!

:-D :-D
    push...push...push...push...push...enough ????? got the motivation ????? :? :? :? :? :?
    Old 05-04-2010, 03:50 PM

what are comic book boards ?
    Old 05-04-2010, 04:12 PM
    Power Poster

PUSH--- I want it done by June 1st. How's that?
    Old 05-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    I wait for pictures of the room allll organized! and I have not followed the chats on the things you needed to do the job. So I am not sure of what cake boards,comic book boards or colorplast boards are? I know they will be used in the organizing of your fabric, but I am uncertain what they are!!
    Originally Posted by Howard
    what are comic book boards ?
    Comic book boards are stiff cardboard that coated on one side and are completely acid free. Mine are 7 x 10.5. You can wrap fabric around the boards similar to the big boards in the fabric shops. Attach the end to the wrapped fabric with a coated or plastic paperclip for a very neat board. They stand up just like the quilt shops.

The cake boards are made for sheet cakes and are 13 x 19 and come in a pkg of 6 on sale for less than $4. Cut them 9.5 x 6 and get 24 boards to do the same thing with your fabric. They are coated corrugated cardboard like a heavy box material. I got some from Joanns with a coupon.

The colorplast is a corrugated plastic that is used for signs like the politicians use in peoples yards. Cut to what ever size you want they also are used to wrap fabric. I buy them here from member purplemem. Do a search for her or for stash tamers

I got some of each to try out.

I came to the conclusion today that this job is defeating me!
    I'm thinking of getting rid of at least half my fabric. I will never live long enough to use it. That will solve half my problem!
    I've never been able to get into scrappy quilts! Too busy for me so I don't know what I'm saving it for. I may be offering it on this board soon!
    Look at the link by alaskasunshine and see how it works

:-D
    Old 05-04-2010, 07:36 PM

I kept putting mine off too, the job just seemed overwhelming. I finally decided to get started last week, one box at a time. Almost done. Someone said, how do you eat an elephant??? one bite at a time, it works.
    Old 05-05-2010, 04:22 AM

Well after readig all these posts I Finally decided to re-arrage my fabric. I went to the local sign store and the best they could do was .50 a piece for the coroplast, so I just got 20 of those - figured I'd use them for the fabric I had more yardage of, and can go back to get more whenever.

Then I found a local comic store and bought 100 BCW magazine boards that are 8 1/2 x 11 for $20.00 (more than what others are spending ??)

After doing running (errands) all day long I had about 45 minutes before hubby would come home from work and I was excited about my comic boards (hee hee - that is sad). So I started folding my solid color fabrics since I have the least of that section. I LOVE THIS. Now I can actually SEE all the fabrics and colors I have. I had it all stacked "nicely" but you know how some of those folded fabrics seem to slide back into the stack.

Well I have to do a "chore" for hubby today but I can't wait to get back to working on more, and of course I have to go back to comic book store (5-10 minutes away - never heard of them before yesterday), and get lots more of those boards. The guy at the store said his wife does the same thing.

I could probably wait and order them cheaper or ebay or ??, but I just want to get back to working on my fabric. This is addicting---------------. Once you start you just want it all done; so just put on some music and you will be "dreaming" with each and every piece you wrap.

Karen
    Old 05-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by karensue
    Well after readig all these posts I Finally decided to re-arrage my fabric. I went to the local sign store and the best they could do was .50 a piece for the coroplast, so I just got 20 of those - figured I'd use them for the fabric I had more yardage of, and can go back to get more whenever.

Then I found a local comic store and bought 100 BCW magazine boards that are 8 1/2 x 11 for $20.00 (more than what others are spending ??)

After doing running (errands) all day long I had about 45 minutes before hubby would come home from work and I was excited about my comic boards (hee hee - that is sad). So I started folding my solid color fabrics since I have the least of that section. I LOVE THIS. Now I can actually SEE all the fabrics and colors I have. I had it all stacked "nicely" but you know how some of those folded fabrics seem to slide back into the stack.

Well I have to do a "chore" for hubby today but I can't wait to get back to working on more, and of course I have to go back to comic book store (5-10 minutes away - never heard of them before yesterday), and get lots more of those boards. The guy at the store said his wife does the same thing.

I could probably wait and order them cheaper or ebay or ??, but I just want to get back to working on my fabric. This is addicting---------------. Once you start you just want it all done; so just put on some music and you will be "dreaming" with each and every piece you wrap.

Karen
    I sure hope you will post pictures. We would love to see your newly organized stash. :-D
    Old 05-05-2010, 10:25 AM

You can do it!!! I saw another ladies cleaning room just posted recently and it looked like a quilt shop in her own home. That would be a lot to look forward to!! :D Just think how beautiful it would be!!
    Old 05-06-2010, 05:48 AM

I have been putting this chore off too, mainly because I can't decide what I really want. Right now I have my fabrics stacked by color. Then I have a whole separate are for prints. I have started marking my pieces that are at least a yd. that way when I am looking for fabric where I need a yd or move I don't have to go through the whole pile. After that I am not sure what more I want to do.
    I have book marked the thread w/ the lady sharing her fabric board organization.....would love that.
    Old 05-06-2010, 01:27 PM

Update on my progress (posting a few above under name: Karen).

I used up the 100 comic board backings that I paid $20 for 100 and today I found another place locally that sells them for $13 so I went there and bought 2 more packs.

I am so happy so far. I did the Christmas fabric, fall fabric, and solid colors. I put them in order by theme and then color. I was really surprised that it took up the same space as I had it before, which was the lengthwise of the fabric, but it looks so much neater and I can actually see all the patterns and just take out watever one I want. Before I had them stacked high. But it looks so much neater and not stacked to the ceiling - that will make hubby happy - he's always complaining that I have too much weight on shelves.

I used the coroplast boards (from sign shop) that I also got for the fabric that I had more yardage of. I used the comic boards for the rest, and on the material where I only had 1/2 yard I just cut up some cardboard to a smaller size. This way I can automatically tell which fabric I have alot of, a yard or so of, and a 1/2 yard of.

Will post photos when done of before and after.

Now I just can't seem to find a way to arrange the fat quarters. Got some shoe boxes today, but still not happy. No room for anothr piece of furniture, so I have to put them on shelves.

Karen