Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stash question >
  • Stash question

• Stash question

Old 12-17-2010, 10:40 AM

It is sooo nice to hear all the different views. So, I am going to take from this thread:
    1- If you like it, buy it!
    2- If it is a solid color pattern that is in colors that you like, probably 2-3 yards is a good idea.
    3- Everyone likes to stash differently, and I LOVE it.

I have a small stash stared (been sewing for a little under a year, and I have to keep the volume to a minimum, or the hubby will put a cap on my spending), and my new years resolution is going to be to organize it.
    I think starting to organize when it is small will be helpful. I need to build up my solid color stash, cause I have lots of novelty prints, but need some background to match with them.
    Thanks for all the imput, keep it coming!
    Old 12-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Okay so here is my Stash enjoy! Oh and my quilting buddies do shop at my Stash LOL!
    Luann

only a small part of the Stash in the walkin cloaset
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]144311[/ATTACH]

The Stash for the business and a few UFO's stored above Kits on the rt side
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]144312[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-144306.jpe   attachment-144307.jpe  
    Old 12-17-2010, 12:18 PM

My stash is growing by leaps and bounds. I have two double wardrobes filled and can't fit even a fat quarter in there anymore. I've got 3 dressers, the space under my bed and any number of flat surfaces covered and piled up plus a tv cabinet filled at our summer home. I've also got plastic containers filed with fabric that I've made into kits. It's an addiction! and I've got to learn to control it. I just have no willpower when it comes to fabric sales. It's like falling in love all over again (with fabric, of course). I don't buy fat quarters anymore but buy between 1 and 10 yards depending on what I'd like to use it for and the price at the time.
    Old 12-17-2010, 12:48 PM

I am addicted to remnants.

Where are you from Buckyfan? I'm from near Green Bay.
    Old 12-17-2010, 01:25 PM

I would love to have any of your problems, that is having too much stash. I am just now building my stash. I like kits and I am buying precut fabrics mostly online. Very envious!
    Old 12-17-2010, 02:11 PM
    Bev

I have a wall of shelving holding see-through Rubbermaid bins of fabric. I won't let my stash get any larger than this because I'd have no place in the room for it. My fabric sizes range from several bins of scraps in all sizes down to 2" squares, to bins with large cuts ranging from 2 yards to 6 yards. None larger than this. I also have one long shelf of fat quarters in see-through Sterlite shoebox size boxes. The closet contains all my batting and backings. I feel like, for me at least, it's a manageable stash. 8-)
    Old 12-17-2010, 04:34 PM

A funny stash story (at least to me)
    Over the years I've kept fabric, mostly new, but some pieces from clothes I cut up, usually things I made origianlly but no longer needed(meaninf no longer fit).
    So yesterday, we were in the attic, which I haven't been in since 1991, when we added the addition. There was a bag of stash pieces, various sizes, that I honestly did not remember putting there or even having.
    So I brought it down to go through it, to see what in the world I decided to keep. It was mainly, it looks like, pieces I picked up at garage sales, and some pieces cut from clothes, as I mentioned.
    In the car accident, some of my memories got reshelved, and are lost, but they manage to get put in the right place now and then.
    Seems I remember all the pieces, what I made with them, where I wore those items, it was fun going through them reliving history.
    I came across a piece of fabric, a red print, cut from a tiered gathered skirt, I remember I wore it with a white peasant type top.
    On the FIRST date with my husband (to see Heart and ELO up in Pontiac, Mich)! We've been married 29 1/2 years, and it took us 2 1/2 years to get married after the first date! That's some old fabric. All this stuff seems to be in decent shape, I need to make something special
    Old 12-17-2010, 05:08 PM

I think we all are way too adicted to fabric. If I live to be 100 I couldn't possibly use it all. I am now moving to the quilted balls I have seen on here. I ordered the pins and balls and I have enough fabric to decorate the city@!
    Old 12-17-2010, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
    I have waaaay too much fabric, in all yardages. If I liked it, I bought the rest of the bolt when the price was right. For variety, I buy FQ on sale. I used to buy 3 yards when I was purchasing fabric just because I liked it and didn't actually have a project in mind. I have slowed down on shopping, I don't know where to put it!!!!! I should be able to sew "free" quilts for several years! I have joined a "scrappy quilt" group to actually use my stash.
    Several years of "free" quilts. I have enough to last well beyond my life expectancy, or anyone's. Problem is I still have to buy batting. So they are not really free... Oh well! I am happy with my collections.
    Old 12-17-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
    A funny stash story (at least to me)
    Over the years I've kept fabric, mostly new, but some pieces from clothes I cut up, usually things I made origianlly but no longer needed(meaninf no longer fit).
    So yesterday, we were in the attic, which I haven't been in since 1991, when we added the addition. There was a bag of stash pieces, various sizes, that I honestly did not remember putting there or even having.
    So I brought it down to go through it, to see what in the world I decided to keep. It was mainly, it looks like, pieces I picked up at garage sales, and some pieces cut from clothes, as I mentioned.
    In the car accident, some of my memories got reshelved, and are lost, but they manage to get put in the right place now and then.
    Seems I remember all the pieces, what I made with them, where I wore those items, it was fun going through them reliving history.
    I came across a piece of fabric, a red print, cut from a tiered gathered skirt, I remember I wore it with a white peasant type top.
    On the FIRST date with my husband (to see Heart and ELO up in Pontiac, Mich)! We've been married 29 1/2 years, and it took us 2 1/2 years to get married after the first date! That's some old fabric. All this stuff seems to be in decent shape, I need to make something special
    Sorry for going off subject, but I am a huge Basenji fan and love your avatar. I am a bit of a newbie and don't see how to reply to just you!