Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stash >
  • Stash

• Stash

Old 04-22-2010, 07:26 PM
    Power Poster

1,2,or 3 depending on how much I like it. 5 or 7 yards for backing.
    Old 04-22-2010, 07:35 PM

When our walmart closed out their fabrics, I just happened to walk in on their last day. There wasn't much left, but they had several partial bolts of muslin both bleached and unbleached for $.21 a yard, and I bought all they had. Then I bought several yards of anything else that I liked that was under a dollar and got a bag full for $15. Usually, when I buy fabric, I buy a yard, 2 if I really love it or if it's border fabric. Unfortunately, that has left me with very few pieces big enough to back a quilt, so now I need backing fabric!!
    Old 04-23-2010, 04:44 AM

Our walmarts did away with the yardage but now fabric is coming back in 2-3 yard packs pre cut. How stupid!!!!!!!!
    We are lucky to have a quilt shop and Hancock fabric here.
    Out hobby lobby thought it would be a good idea to downsize the fabric and bring in more silk flowers. Seems like stupid is all over this town.
    Old 04-23-2010, 05:00 AM

I usually can only afford 1/2 to 1 yd when I am buying because it is a good sale. Therefore, I am often short when it comes to borders. This really forces you to become creative with pieced borders!
    Old 04-23-2010, 05:19 AM

3 yards is always a safe way to go
    Old 04-23-2010, 06:51 AM

I always try to purchase at least 3 yards of fabric or what is left on the bold when I shop and it is on sale. Our Wal-mart in Manteca California took the fabric out and I told them at the time I would not shop there anymore and I have not. That has been a couple of years now. They may not miss my business but I am very stubborn and will not shop there anymore. I called the main office and also told the store manager.
    Old 04-23-2010, 06:58 AM

Mine's going out next spring when they remodel again. I have found some good fabric and then some great fabric. Some was even on the $1.50 racks. You have to know your fabric tho. If you feel it, the hand can tell you a lot. Is it too stiff? Too much sizing. Is the pattern true or off print? Some can still be used according to the quilt pattern.

I've been looking for six months for a good turquoise and brown for a quilt. Stumbled on it at Walmart's for $2.44 a yard. There were two bolts each of two coordinating patterns and I bought all of it. No, it's not Hoffman or Kona but I don't really care. It won't get that much wear and I can really enjoy it. I know, post a pic. I'm working on it.
    Old 04-23-2010, 08:06 AM

I bought a package of 2 yard precut from our wallmart. When I opened it I found it was very thin. Will not buy any more.
    Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 AM

If it is to beef up a stash, look for basic colors in small scale prints and solids so it will be most flexible in future coordination. That is my rule of thumb.

Buy what you can COMFORTABLLY afford, but by only what you like the best and think you will honestly use in a quilt sometime. I try to get at least 1 yard and try to shoot for 3 or the end of bolt if it fits the budget.

And buy the special ones that you just can't take your eyes off of :-)
    Old 04-23-2010, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Buy the basics you will use before you buy fabric. WonderUnder, Pellon, the good muslin, batting on the bolt if there is any, all the fusible, interfacings, wash- a- ways, stabalizers. Also buy several yards of cotton canvas. Insulbrite, cotton ticking, any thing on the bolt that you won't find later at these prices.
    I agree. Just would just get the basics. Their material is not always the best for quilts that you hope will last a long time.