Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stash >
  • Stash

• Stash

Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by MtnAngelQuilter
    Hi, everyone! Our local Walmart is discontinuing their fabric department and the fabric is on clearance at very good prices. When you are buying fabric to add to your "stash," and not really having any project in mind at the time, what is the amount you usually buy- 1 yd., more, less?
    I usually buy 1 yard unless I really love it and then I buy 2.
    Old 04-23-2010, 10:53 AM

I USUALLY BUY 3. SEEMS TO BE TO ME IF I MAKE A MISTAKE I WILL ALWAYS HAVE EXTRA. ALSO IT ADDS TO MY STASH. NEVER CAN HAVE TO MUCH FABRIC.
    Old 04-23-2010, 02:49 PM

I try to buy all that they have of one that I like but at least 3 yards.
    Old 04-23-2010, 03:48 PM

My Walmart went out a year or so ago, in one small town they petioned Walmart and got their's back. I couldn't believe they did in our town because that was the only fabric on the island. We have to go at least 25 miles to get fabric now. I would buy the basics as the other lady said: batting, interfacing, etc. If I really love a fabric I usually buy 3 yds. Sometimes Walmart fabric is not good quality quilting fabric. I would be careful because I wouldn't want to put all that time into a quilt and have problems later. One fabric I bought that I really liked, I decided not to use in my quilt because it was so thin. Good Luck
    Old 04-23-2010, 03:48 PM

Hi, it's Miss Sandy here, I was just at my Walmart in Sarasota, and i knew they were eliminating the fabric department, but when i checked in they were loaded with bolts of batiks, fun fabrics, knits, childrens themed, along with many different battings, including iron ons, I am out there tomorrow to see what I can buy. Hope you all get a great buy.
    Old 04-23-2010, 03:55 PM

I am lucky, Our WalMart still has a big fabric dept. When they have their seasonal sales on fabric i always buy as much as i can. I have all the fabric i need for next Christmas. So far there is no talk of getting rid of the dept and i hope they don't. So far i have never had a bad fabric experience even though a lot of quilters will only buy from quilt shops. I can always purchase greater amounts at their lower prices.
    Old 04-23-2010, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Judy_M
    My Walmart still has a complete fabric dept. I guess I should start watching for it to disappear.
    I think so. We were told 3 years ago that no matter what the flap about Walmart discontinuing fabrics, our store would never get rid of their fabric department because business in fabrics was so good.
    We have 3 superstores local, all 3 had fabric, now after the major remodelling that Walmart is systematically doing, none of them has any fabric. And the 4th one, the next store up the highway that still had fabric, now is undergoing remodel and all the fabric disappeared over one weekend.
    Old 04-23-2010, 10:52 PM

Since I like scrappy quilts, I buy 1/2 to 1 yard cuts to have lots of variety. Used to buy 3-4 yds. and had too much of the same fabrics. Sometimes I have 20 or more fabrics in one quilt! Someone said you can use as many colors as you like if pieces remain small--not more than 2" square or 1/2 square triangles. Picked up several bolts for cutting at Walmart on $2 table. When cutting finished, she labeled them $1 a yd. Said she couldn't change price as bolts are marked off site. I spent $20 and got 20 yards!!! Came back next day--now $2 yard!
    Old 04-24-2010, 04:57 AM

our walmart is remodeling in Nov/Dec and i was told that the fabric dept. was being downsized and will be mostly craft stuff(like the packaged fabric). they are expanding the electronics dept. the walmart in Cheboygan is basically done with their fabric-they have some trims and knits for 75% off. and there is seasonal stuff in the space where fabric used to be. to answer your question-if for backing buy a lot, maybe 4-5 yrds. otherwise a yard or two.
    Old 04-24-2010, 06:37 AM
    Power Poster

I always get at least two yards. Some folks getting even more than that. If you know you will never see it again, I would consider getting three.