Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stash >
  • Stash

• Stash

Old 04-24-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    Buy the basics you will use before you buy fabric. WonderUnder, Pellon, the good muslin, batting on the bolt if there is any, all the fusible, interfacings, wash- a- ways, stabalizers. Also buy several yards of cotton canvas. Insulbrite, cotton ticking, any thing on the bolt that you won't find later at these prices.
    Very good advice!!!!

Years ago I would buy 1-3yds of something. Now if I know that'll I'll be able to use it in many ways. Any where from 3-whats on the bolt, especially the neutrals, blenders, tone on tone and such. Get whatever you can.

Happy shopping!!! :thumbup:
    Old 04-24-2010, 10:35 AM

I think Wal-mart is stupid getting rid of their fabric. I don't shop there much anymore. I used to go in and see what they had in fabric and picked up other things since I was in the store. No reason to go in now. The funny thing is they got rid of fabric in a town that does not have any other source for it and kept it in the store near the quilt shop and JoAnns. Like someone mentioned to me, they get rid of the competition and do not care what the customers need. When the competition is gone they get rid of the product.
    Old 04-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Our local Hancocks had some fabric last week on clearance fairly cheap.... $1 to $2 a yard....might be a good idea to stock up and get me a pretty good stash going. Sometimes I think I am too "picky" about my fabrics.
    Old 04-24-2010, 11:41 AM

The last Walmart in the Tulsa area (to my knowledge) is closing out their fabric dept in July. I HATE WALMART. A few years ago, there was a big hulabaloo about it and many petitions, emails and phone calls to WalMart Headquarters ensued. Walmart promised they would not remove fabric dept. After the dust settled, they slowly started removing them. When the Walmarts near where I live closed them out, I quit going into Walmart unless I have no other choice. I hate giving them my money. I do my very best to boycott them. Granted, I'm lucky in the fact that we have Joann's, Hancocks and Hobby Lobby with in a 1/2 hour driving distance, plus at least 4 quilt shops. Still, I can't afford their prices for fabric. Seems both Joann's and Hancock's have raised their prices now that they don't have to compete with walmart and most of their fabric is subpar, IMO. I only quilt to please myself and can make do with a less quality fabric. If I have to spend $8-10 a yard, I will have to quit buying fabric. Like I said, I HATE Walmart. Old Sam is probably doing somersaults in his grave.
    Old 04-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Quaint Quilter
    Our local Hancocks had some fabric last week on clearance fairly cheap.... $1 to $2 a yard....might be a good idea to stock up and get me a pretty good stash going. Sometimes I think I am too "picky" about my fabrics.

My Hancock's used to have a sale table, but I can't seem to find anything on it anymore. :evil:
    Old 04-24-2010, 01:18 PM

Buy all they have of tonal and solids, especially staples like cream and red and blue. Then buy at least two yards of each of related prints, those all in one theme, and don't forget the backing fabrics.
    Old 04-24-2010, 11:09 PM
    Banned

this thread was on not to long ago. I can't buy any but as I remeber most people like to buy three yards at a time. God bless. Penny
    Old 04-24-2010, 11:14 PM
    Google Goddess

have fun with your stash
    Old 04-25-2010, 10:21 AM
    Power Poster

I try to buy three yards or more.
    Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by cminor
    Always 3. Seems that is enough if I want to do something and you can never have too much! :)

Just be careful - I know from experience that Walmart fabric is sometimes a little thin. Not that it stops me :)
    Yes, if I like a fabric I buy at least 3 yds. That way you have enough to cut on the length and it's long enough to make borders for a full/queen quilt.