Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stash >
  • Stash

• Stash

Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ProLongarmARTQUILTER
    ONE went Out and One downsized when they built SC, Here more lately they reevaluated and we got to keep it TG!!! We got bargains but Not .25 a yard, I buy as much as I can and the store that went OUT I rarely go to. Why Shop at WM if you Can't buy Fabric??? Not Me!!! :twisted:
    My sentiments exactly. Cool pix on your avatar.
    Old 04-27-2010, 08:55 PM

Ok, My practice is that if I like something well enough I buy a minimum of 3 yards. If I love it, then 5 or more yds.

My favorite shop has beautiful prints/tone-on-tones in backing fabric (amazing quality) at 108-120" wide for about $9.99/yd. With that, I buy a minimum of 2 1/3 yds. If Hubby is with me he tells them 3 yds. (He's used to fabric shopping with me.

Now to the Wal*Mart issue. The elderly woman at corporate whose "Pet-project" was the fabric departments, died a few years ago when we all started seeing our fabric departments disappear with each new remodeling and being replaced by expanded electronics dept (some MAN thought this up).

A community south of here had a large Menonite community. Their Wal*Mart took out the fabric. The leader of their community went to THAT customer service and told them that although they spend a lot of their $$ there, "We got along just fine before you and with no fabric, we'll get along just fine without you again. Have a nice day." The fabric department was brought back the next week. *s*
    Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by in2stitchin
    The leader of their community went to THAT customer service and told them
    That's a good point.
    Y'know any "interest group" that gets together and acts together becomes an action group - such as in politics where, for instance, a category of fishermen or farmers or marathon runners, who otherwise have no reason to act as a body, get riled up over some community policy or political rule or law and organize themselves, now become a Political Action Group. All of a sudden they are a force to be reckoned with.
    Wonder if quilters and sewers could do something like that.....
    Old 04-27-2010, 09:43 PM

With research, I have surmised ... I have 5 Wal*Marts in my area. Only ONE has retained a full fabric dept. Their Manager noticed that every time another Wal*Mart closed out it's fabric ... his profits went UP *duh*

In my little area, we have 120 quilt guilds. I don't know how many teachers (they cover their cork boards with every upcoming holiday).

There are more folks trying to fix this than you might know.

Just a lil FYI