Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stash vs. life expectancy... >
  • Stash vs. life expectancy...

• Stash vs. life expectancy...

Old 09-10-2009, 09:17 AM

About ten years ago, a quilter looked at her collection of 24 pieced and/or appliqued quilt tops (WIP) and vowed that she would quilt them one day. Unfortunately a week later she became very ill. Thinking about those 24 WIPs, she made a bargain with the Lord asking Him to let her live long enough to quilt those 24 quilts. She had a speedy recovery. She has since made many, many quilts, but to date, she always has one of those 24 quilts waiting to be quilted. And the Lord understands.
    Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 AM

I was setting talking to my dc and told them when I got old and was in a vegetation state to just pull the plug
    well........... they got up and pulled out the computer wires and throwed away my wine the dummies :lol: :lol:
    Old 09-10-2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2
    My secret is to keep buying so that I can't outlive it :D :D
    Now that's a great perspective, Myrna! I went to Emily's Closet today (30% off EVERYTHING IN STOCK) and bought only one piece of fabric. I didn't find what I was looking for (but saw a LOT that I would have loved to leave with).. We were having a lovely chat when I told her I really had to go, because the more we talked the more my eyes caught something that was making my "wheels spin." :lol:

When I got back home, I disregarded all of my WIPs and my UFOs and cut up that sucker. Just had to do it. Now I've got one more WIP that is destined for the UFO pile. Oh well------------- it was fun while it lasted and it felt really GOOD. :roll:
    Old 09-10-2009, 01:19 PM

I'd have to live two lifetimes to use up my stash as it stands now. And there is always that "have to have" couple of yards.
    Old 09-10-2009, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Belles
    About ten years ago, a quilter looked at her collection of 24 pieced and/or appliqued quilt tops (WIP) and vowed that she would quilt them one day. Unfortunately a week later she became very ill. Thinking about those 24 WIPs, she made a bargain with the Lord asking Him to let her live long enough to quilt those 24 quilts. She had a speedy recovery. She has since made many, many quilts, but to date, she always has one of those 24 quilts waiting to be quilted. And the Lord understands.
    Great story! :D :D
    Old 09-10-2009, 02:57 PM

I recently took a sewing class and the teacher told me that the one who dies with the most wins!!! :mrgreen: I laughed and said well then I am still ok to buy more
    Old 09-10-2009, 03:00 PM

I have at LEAST 2,500 yards of batik alone. I think 5 lifetimes should be about enough!!
    Old 09-10-2009, 05:31 PM

I know I will not live long enough to use all my fabric I have 27 tubs plus LOTS of scrapes I mostly hand quilt mini blocks.
    Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 PM

I'm 81 and plan to live to 100. I bought a shed to store my stash. When my DH passed away, I took the family room and turned it into my sewing room. Also took his bedroom chest of drawers for all my fat quarters etc. Will I use it all? I doubt it but in the meantime, I'm having one heck of a time enjoying all the colors and patterns.

When I get to the pearly gates, I'm going to have a sewing machine in each hand and a cart tied to my back end with my stash. If St Peter won't let me in, I'm commin' back.
    Old 09-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Everybody know about the Winchester House in San Franciso? Ms. Winchester (heir to the gun fortune) long time ago thought that as long as she keeps building on the house she will never die. Well, I think that theory might work better with fabrics. As long as I keep adding to my stash and keep sewing I just might make it to 100. I'm 65 right now. My son tells me that some day he will have a really neat yard sale as he looks at all my bins of fabric and piles here and there in the sewing room.