Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • To steam or not to steam................ >
  • To steam or not to steam................

• To steam or not to steam................

Old 03-12-2011, 06:10 PM

I press with dry heat. Used to press with steam, but blocks are much less wonky now that I don't use steam. Haven't tried starch yet. I steam the heck out of wrinkled clothes and fabric. I might steam a finished block that was already wonky in order to try to make it work and avoid ripping and redoing.
    Old 03-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
    Originally Posted by JAK
    I am a new quilter of only about 3 months. I have read numerous articles, books, Youtube tutorials and most generally they have all said not to use steam when pressing seams/squares as it can stretch fabric. I started a quilting class this week and instructor says to steam. Just wondering what most of you more experienced quilters prefer.
    I always use steam, but I am very careful to PRESS, not Iron. It is the moving of the iron across the fabric that stretches it - my opinion

CoriAmD...I also use steam and you are so right: PRESS..
    Press is the #1 rule for me...and I use steam 100% of the time.
    Old 03-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by JAK
    I am a new quilter of only about 3 months. I have read numerous articles, books, Youtube tutorials and most generally they have all said not to use steam when pressing seams/squares as it can stretch fabric. I started a quilting class this week and instructor says to steam. Just wondering what most of you more experienced quilters prefer.
    I agree it is the ironing motion that stretches, I find that I have most of my sucess with finger pressing and not iron pressing til the very end with steam, but the quilt police won't be around most of the time , good luck. :thumbup: :roll: :lol:
    Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 PM

i always use steam, it seems to set the seam much better, if you do not want to stretch the fabric, do not run your iron over the fabric, just put it down for a few seconds and lift back up........gina
    Old 03-13-2011, 09:13 PM

I have been using the tips that have been posted here. I use starch all the time now and a dry iron, I also just press, not iron. Thanks to this board my blocks actually come out the right size.
    Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 AM

I think something else that factors into it is the more you piece and quilt the more your eye can see those distortions. When I first started quilting I didn't even recognize some of the imperfections that I now try to avoid. Not that it makes your quilt any less beautiful as some people find those little imperfections endearing. As long as you are not distorting your blocks to the point they look strange or they interfere with your measurements...and as you increase in skill you are bound to run into those types of issues.
    Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 AM

I have taugth quilting for 30+ years--yikes! Anyway, the word is press GENTYLY. Steam or not. Don't run the iron over the fabric patches like you're ironing a shirt. That will stretch fabric. Use a gentle hand to maintain the shape of the pieced unit. This applies to either dry or steam. Dry pressing with a heavy hand will do as much damage.

Sandy
    Old 03-14-2011, 09:50 AM

I use steam but to press...don't move the iron back and forth in an ironing motion