Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is It Still A Stash When..... >
  • Is It Still A Stash When.....

• Is It Still A Stash When.....

Old 07-31-2011, 07:39 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I gave away most of my stash to local Project Linus groups last year. I only kept fabric that I really have something in mind for, plus nine shoebox-sized plastic boxes of "souveniers".

Is it still a stash? Yes, just a very small one. I can't take it with me anyway, and nobody in my family would want it... so why not let it go to somebody who can use it?

I'm fine with the results.
    Old 07-31-2011, 07:45 AM
    Power Poster

Hi Debbie!
    I downsized my stash and honestly I'm a lot happier. I let go of stuff I know I won't use and it feels good to give to someone you know will use it.
    Now I have only the fabbies I love and am buying more prudently for 2 reasons:
    1. I don't have the money for my former spending habits.
    2. I have 3 sons and dread leaving tons of fabric someday to them LOL LOL
    Hope you're doing well!!
    Hugs, Sue

PS. I can now go in my sewing room and not have a panic attack!! Nice bonus hahahaha
    Old 07-31-2011, 07:48 AM

I am careful buying stash because that will take the fun out of buying fabric for that particular quilt pattern I want to make. Most of us have more fabric than we will ever be able to use, even if we sewed 24/7! I used to do this with scrapbooking also. I would buy all this paper, yet when I had a particular page I wanted to do, I would have to go buy "special" paper for it. I now have probably 25 lbs of scrapbook paper! But, let's face it, paper can be bought on sale for $.20/sheet! I only buy stash when I get a REALLY good deal on it, otherwise, I must have a particular quilt in mind to buy fabric.
    Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 AM

Fortunately, since I live in a two-bedroom apartment, I simply don't have room for a monster stash. And it's not as bad as it sounds. I pretty much can think of every piece of yardage, FQ, and scrap that I own, making it easier to find what I need. I don't even have a designated sewing space. All my sewing supplies - machine, fabric, notions, everything - fit under a twin bed and within a small TV stand. I had to make a rule for myself: if it doesn't fit in those areas, I can't keep it. And I pretty much don't buy fabric unless I need it for something specific. It saves space and lots of money too!

This small space seems to work for me, since I am very disorganized by nature. I LOVE the beautiful sewing rooms so many of you post here, but that's a luxury I just don't see in my near future.
    Old 07-31-2011, 08:05 AM

Favorite Fabrics...When NP3 and GRamma Mo were here for the retreat, we actually bagged up 5 bags of fabrics to go to my Project Linus Chapter. Yes I could have sold it, but the quilts it makes for them brings a bigger smile.
    NP3 did scrap booking while here too to make me a Retreat scrap book and I could not believe the prices on the supplies. Of course she used Creative Scrapping items. I will not do like before and buy out the stores when I start a new hobby. I will buy by the project. Especially with today's prices.
    Do I worry about fabric prices going up nd not being able to afford it??? Nope, there are always sales. LOL
    Old 07-31-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by hannajo
    Fortunately, since I live in a two-bedroom apartment, I simply don't have room for a monster stash. And it's not as bad as it sounds. I pretty much can think of every piece of yardage, FQ, and scrap that I own, making it easier to find what I need. I don't even have a designated sewing space. All my sewing supplies - machine, fabric, notions, everything - fit under a twin bed and within a small TV stand. I had to make a rule for myself: if it doesn't fit in those areas, I can't keep it. And I pretty much don't buy fabric unless I need it for something specific. It saves space and lots of money too!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Too funny. YOu should look up Cathy MIller's song on how to hide your stash. It'll make you laugh. Under cushions and towels, behind can goods in the pantry, etc. Her songs are fun anyway about quilters.

This small space seems to work for me, since I am very disorganized by nature. I LOVE the beautiful sewing rooms so many of you post here, but that's a luxury I just don't see in my near future.
    Old 07-31-2011, 08:10 AM

I like it!!! I really do not want more than what I have and being a beginner quilter, reading you makes me want to get organized NOW lolll and use scraps for crazy quilt as soon as I have enough
    I do not want it to become a burden instead of a pleasure
    Thank you ladies for "telling" me to destash
    Loll
    Old 07-31-2011, 08:22 AM

helou - love your avatar. YOu can look at stashes of members on the QB and stare in Awe. It's amazing I wasn't alone with my four wall stash. And now I am not alone with my half wall stash. Oh still have a shelf of FQ'q and kits. But manageable. Fun..fun..fun...
    Old 07-31-2011, 08:24 AM

While I can't say that I only buy for the project at hand I also can't say that I have what most would consider a stash. My "stash" would probably fit into 2 med totes. I have one sm bin w/fabric for baby quilts; one for raq quilts (sq already cut, ready to sew together) and then one for my patriot fab. I have found some fabric that I love and get not knowing what I'll use it on but normally find something. If I leave it without putting it into a quilt then how can I truely enjoy it. If I'm taking a class is the only time I buy most of the fabric for a project at one time. Most of the time I try to see if I have the focus color on hand and if it's enough or if I have what goes with it. I'm just now getting my sewing room setup and it's great to see fabric that I had forgotten that I had come out so I'm glad I don't have the stashes like some of you; I'd never come out of my sewing room. I wish I could buy more but I have space constraints and money constraints. I will confess though; I spend more on my quilting items than anything else that I do.
    Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 AM

My stash is mostly FQ's and 1/2 yards... for small quilts, and many were given to me by quilter friends. When I want to make a big quilt, I go shopping...

And I love my little stash! It's fun for me to start pulling fabrics out and seeing how they spark each other. Much easier for me than going to a shop and searching...

I can lay out some pieces and meditate on them for a few days before deciding which ones I want to use for a project.. Works for me...