Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is It Still A Stash When..... >
  • Is It Still A Stash When.....

• Is It Still A Stash When.....

Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 AM

I have a small stash compared to most quilters. But it is probably way more than I will ever be able to make into quilts. I have slowed down on buying fabric lately. But my stash is all folded neatly and on shelves in two cabinets. I may add more if I get another cabinet.
    Old 07-31-2011, 09:18 AM

I consider myself to have a small stash. Probably less than a hundred yards. I also have a lot of pre-cuts I bought when connecting threads had a good sale. I am still a fairly new quilter and thought that a stash would be a good thing. The problem is that the things I have in my stash I never seem to use. So I have decided not to add to my stash. Once I am finished making the quilts from the kits (I think 4) then I will try to use up some of the stash to cut down the amount I have. I hope to be starting a family within the next couple of years and know that my quilting will slow down. I will not want to store all that fabric when I have kids and have to store all of their stuff. Our house is only so big and I don't want it to be cluttered.
    Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 AM

I'm with you! No more buying becuase its pretty. I too am destashing.
    Old 07-31-2011, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    helou - love your avatar. YOu can look at stashes of members on the QB and stare in Awe. It's amazing I wasn't alone with my four wall stash. And now I am not alone with my half wall stash. Oh still have a shelf of FQ'q and kits. But manageable. Fun..fun..fun...
    thank you Debbie I love cats, can't you tell loll (I like dogs also but cats suit my life style better for now) it is a counted cross stich
    I have looked at some members' pictures of their stash and it's beautiful. I have one large plastic bin and a small one and for now it's more than I might need for the next 10 years and I am happy not too be overwhelmed by it. I kind of watched your progress Debbie for the last few months (did you not post pictures of it) and I am glad that your are happy with the outcome....
    :thumbup:
    Old 07-31-2011, 10:34 AM

i do have a large stash but i have always been extremely selective of what i will buy or even accept for free.

if i know i won't use it or don't like it i will not buy it or accept it - not even for charity quilts.

i learned long ago that i only enjoy working on quilts that are made with fabrics that speak to me.

so even if its free or a buck a yard if it doesn't speak to me i don't want it.
    Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 AM

I agree, I use the fabric I have and add bit when I NEED it and now only buy 1 yard or less. I don't need to have the biggest stash, just enough to sew as I like
    Old 07-31-2011, 12:47 PM

I thought my stash was small, but now I know it is. 100 yds? 200 yds? you guys my stash is no more than 10-12 yds. I guess I need to start shopping!
    Old 07-31-2011, 01:02 PM

Debbie, I also enjoyed reading your progress as you detashed. I've been detashing, but have a way to go. I've never bought yards and yards of any one fabric; guess I've always loved the scrappy look. I hope in the future to be making charity quilts; right now, I'm still making quilts for my family and to sell as quilt tops.
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories.
    Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 PM

Ditto. Thanks to everyone for sharing. And yes I had one of those ROom reorganizing topics, several. It was a long process. LOL.
    Old 08-01-2011, 03:41 AM

Most of my fabric is 30 years old, more or less. It is my goal to sew up my fabric before I die. I rarely buy fabric. I would love to buy some new fabric, but I am pretty commited to using what I have. I do buy solids, but that is about all and only when they are on sale.

I am finding it challenging to work within the boundaries of what I already have. It's kinda funny. I bought what I liked so most of it goes together pretty well. I used to back my quilts with muslin or a solid, but now I use my stash. It was hard to do at first, but I am enjoying my creative backings.

Good luck to everyone on their stashes!