Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Still working on not feeling guilty >
  • Still working on not feeling guilty

• Still working on not feeling guilty

Old 08-12-2012, 04:54 AM

Yesterday DH and I went to our shed behind the house (which is more like a garage). When we moved in 3 years ago we emptied the boxes into the cabinets and left them there. Well, the 'stuff' is now getting sent out to a church that sells it in a thrift store. I went through things and thought I should save or sell it, but this morning I woke up and realized I didn't want to sell this stuff on ebay, I just want it gone. I have a closet filled with quilts that I do not use and I think the church could sell these easily. I will call them tomorrow and see what they can do with them. These items are all items I have bought on eBay or at thrift stores or at yard sales, nothing that has any sentimental value to me. It is time to move on as you say.....Good Luck in your decision to clean out.
    Old 08-12-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by kay carlson
    Last evening I pulled everything out of the large closet upstairs and set aside some projects I have absolutely no desire to finish. Fabrics, batting, and interfacings were sorted and placed in appropriate containers. Since I have almost completed this closet, I will soon be going to another area to declutter and purge.

My parents grew up during the Great Depression of the early 1930's. I can be very resourceful and like to repurpose items with my skills and creativity. However, I have come to the conclusion that I will work on the following:1) I will be more selective in projects in the future 2) I have made some mistakes in selecting some projects in the past, but this is not life threatening 3) I do not have to warehouse these mistakes 4) I can cut my losses and move on 5) I can pass items forward where they can be used 6) This is a process...

How many of us are in the same situation tonight?
    Know the feeling. Soooooooo Happy for you, getting to the point of letting go takes such a long time but feels great when you get there. I too love to repurpose items, some times I feel like I've done more when I repurpose than when I make new (just me). I was very lucky when I first started quilting (the friend who started), showed me a closet FILLED TO THE TOP with things started but not finished. She told me I would also have a closet like this if I didn't do some thing about it before it got started. I was lucky she did this, because I have been very careful to NOT fall in love with some thing from the picture. If I start it (I always try to get a 1/4 extra yard of each fabric for extra block), and find that I'm NOT liking it I'll finish that block and quit. I will still have fabric for a quilt, so I will make it into some thing that I know I like. The one block will some times get cut up and used in a scrap block, or I take it to a quilt store I have gone to for a long time and I put it in the take one leave one basket (it's full of homeless blocks). I've found some cute blocks, that the maker didn't like. I've left blocks I didn't like, but others loved. The owner gets a big kick out of seeing what goes into the basket and how it ends up after you finished with it. I've also taken things out of my friends closet and remade them into some thing different.
    Old 08-12-2012, 05:33 AM

I think we all do this, but at least there's always someone out there who will love to receive these things.
    Old 08-12-2012, 05:52 AM

I have been in the process of doing just that for the last year. I have given away a lot of things I no longer have use for. Up to and including a beautiful sewing table. I just didn't have the room for it.
    Old 08-12-2012, 06:25 AM

Since the beginning of summer, I dropped one weekly social activity at the Senior Center and devoted my time to finishing up UFOs. I am almost done with those. YAY...I am giving away those that I do not want to finish along with some fabric I really don't want. I have a lot of trouble becuase I really like to do scrap quilts and it is those scraps that I just can't seem to get rid of. I know yrs ago, I gave away a lot of scraps and sometimes I regret that as I had some pretty, bright African fabrics. Oh well! Some time ago, I had asked for crumbs and someone sent me four or six blocks ....blue dots and white, big zigzag. I incorporated them into a child's quilt and donated it to Project Linus. The other day, we got a note and pictures of quilts etc. that were being used in the NICU, covering the incubators and lo and behold, there was my quilt. I just wish I could copy that email and picture to this site. Maybe the donor will remember that donation to me. Sorry for rambling on and on.
    Old 08-12-2012, 07:26 AM

[QUOTE=kay carlson;5432363]

1) I will be more selective in projects in the future 2) I have made some mistakes in selecting some projects in the past, but this is not life threatening 3) I do not have to warehouse these mistakes 4) I can cut my losses and move on 5) I can pass items forward where they can be used 6) This is a process...NOT A DESTINATION!
    Good guidelines for us all. Thank-you for sharing.
    Old 08-12-2012, 07:44 AM

Unhappy

"The other day, we got a note and pictures of quilts etc. that were being used in the NICU, covering the incubators and lo and behold, there was my quilt. I just wish I could copy that email and picture to this site. Maybe the donor will remember that donation to me. Sorry for rambling on and on."

Joym quote and following message for Joym-

You can copy the email and picture. You should be able to do a "block and copy" on the part you want to save. Then, you should be able to do a paste in to another document. You could also block and copy and then do a right click with your mouse and do a "save as" (At least these are what you do if you use Microsoft) Once you get it copied and/or saved you should be able to either paste it here or attach it in a reply or even upload in to a new thread. Try it and see if it works.

Last edited by Janquiltz; 08-12-2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: add attribute - sorry
    Old 08-12-2012, 07:46 AM

I walked into my sewing room this morning and almost cried. It is starting to empty out but there is still so much to dispose of. I want to paint, decorate and make it a place to create and enjoy. But right now all I see is stuff. It is still so overwhelming. I worked on laundry this morning, and did a little on line research. I googled "sewing room organization" and found 8 pages on "pinterst" ( not sure about spelling) sites. WOW! I am so inspired, some beautiful rooms. Some were over the top, but many were simple ideas that can work on small budgets and easy to acquire. I am stoked!!! I have guest over late this afternoon, but I am off from work tomorrow. I feel a great day happening!
    Ladies, we share a common love for all things fabric, and we share our faults too. Thank you all for sharing.
    Take your right hand and place it on your left shoulder, take your left and and place it on your right shoulder. Now give yourself a big hug!

Last edited by Bneighbor; 08-12-2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Old 08-12-2012, 08:19 AM

I almost fee like I am a yarn and fabric hoarder , and I want to rid myself of what I won't use, but find it very difficult to do. I think if I had someone help me, I might be able to do it, but I feel overwhelmed and can't get myself to start purging.
    Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 AM

Enlist the help of a friend who sews/quilts or crafts and appreciates your stuff but can help you organize, prioritize and purge. I'd volunteer - have a knack for organization and helped sister set up her room in new house - but alas I'm in Ohio and you are ??? Good Luck - just start