Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stitch in the Ditch Question >
  • Stitch in the Ditch Question

• Stitch in the Ditch Question

Old 11-02-2008, 02:22 PM
    Izy

Hope it helps you, I did most of my applique blocks in this way, as you can swing round the bends, either in the ditch or echo, happy stitching make sure you reduce the foot pressure, or you will cause dragging which will give you puckers :( :lol: :D
    Old 11-02-2008, 02:27 PM

What is a knee lift? My machine does not have a needle down option, but I only had to make that mistake once or twice before I started to look and make sure that sucker is down before I lift anything.
    Old 11-02-2008, 02:27 PM

Hi,

Personally I have a problem with stitch in the ditch. As a handquilter I never stitch in the ditch unless I am working on a whole cloth or "cheaters" cloth project. I always stitch at the least 1/4 inch to either side of the piecing seam. I always work under the assumption that the quilting will hold the item together should the seaming fail. When doing machine quilting should I actually stitch in the ditch I use a decorative or zigzag stitch that re enforces the seam by catching fabric on both sides of the seams.
    I have done repair work on quite a few very old quilts where the quilting was all that was holding the pieces on the quilt. A quilt that was handpieced or appliqued needs the extra support unless it is only going to be a piece to take out for show on special occasions.

Just my two cents.
    Old 11-02-2008, 02:36 PM

A knee lift is a bar that you can attach to your machine. You use your knee pressed against the bar to lift the foot which saves you having to take your hands away from your project and reaching behind the foot to lift it. Makes it a whole lot easier and quicker to quilt.

Ruth
    Old 11-02-2008, 02:39 PM

I don't stitch across the stitches as ditch stitch might imply but rather on the low side of the seam. You need to press the seam to one side to do this. I would not ditch stitch when the seams are pressed open, that only weakens the quilt.

Ruth