Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stitches not right >
  • Stitches not right

• Stitches not right

Old 10-02-2022, 01:19 PM

Default Stitches not right

My stitches look ok, but just had to rip out a seam, it was way too easy. What should I adjust. Tried changing to new needle, new bobbin and new thread, didnt help at all.
    Old 10-02-2022, 01:56 PM

Sew a seam on some fabric and see if your top seam pulls out easier, or is it the bottom, bobbin thread. This will help find out what part of your setup is the problem. Ironically, if the top thread pulls out too easy, the bobbin needs to be looked at. If the bobbin thread pulls out too easy, then it could be your top thread not going through the tension discs properly.
    One thing I forgot about. If you are using a long stitch, say 2.5, it could cause a loose seam. I usually sew with 2.0 or 1.8. The seams are harder to rip, but stay together better.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-02-2022 at 01:59 PM.
    Old 10-02-2022, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana
    Sew a seam on some fabric and see if your top seam pulls out easier, or is it the bottom, bobbin thread. This will help find out what part of your setup is the problem. Ironically, if the top thread pulls out too easy, the bobbin needs to be looked at. If the bobbin thread pulls out too easy, then it could be your top thread not going through the tension discs properly.
    One thing I forgot about. If you are using a long stitch, say 2.5, it could cause a loose seam. I usually sew with 2.0 or 1.8. The seams are harder to rip, but stay together better.
    Thanks, I used two different color threads and I know it is the top thread. Will recheck my bobbin.
    Old 10-02-2022, 03:34 PM

It also could be both the top and the bobbin. If you make your seam and then try and pull it apart, if you see "air" between the two pieces and the thread making a bridge across the "air" yep, both tensions are two loose. Can happen when changing thread weights or thicknesses.
    Old 10-03-2022, 04:52 AM

If you are going to adjust your bobbin tension, be very careful and only turn the screw 1/16 to 1/8 at a time. Yes, bobbin tensions can be adjusted on newer machines, even though a lot of manuals say not to.
    Old 10-03-2022, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK
    If you are going to adjust your bobbin tension, be very careful and only turn the screw 1/16 to 1/8 at a time. Yes, bobbin tensions can be adjusted on newer machines, even though a lot of manuals say not to.
    Changing threads has helped a lot. I still feel the thread spools are spinning too fast, is that even possible.
    Old 10-03-2022, 09:12 AM
    Power Poster

I turn the top tension to 0 and start from there until I get a good stitch. The top tension can usually be set to match the bottom tension.
    Old 10-05-2022, 12:50 PM

Talking

Just put an empty metal bobbin on top of thread spool and it has made such a difference. So I am going to bite the bullet and try adjusting my tension.