Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stitches per inch >
  • Stitches per inch

• Stitches per inch

Old 03-23-2009, 02:52 PM
    Banned

Ladies, for those who hand quilt, about how many stitches per inch do you normally put in? And is there a certain type of needle you prefer to use or just any old needle will do?

I ask because I was hand quilting for the first time yesterday. I had the quilt in my new hoop, figured out how to make an invisible knot and I was ready to go! Except that going in and out with the needle ... it just looked like the stitches were too far apart but I couldn't get them any closer because of the snugness (is that a word?) of the fabric in the hoop.
    Old 03-23-2009, 02:59 PM

I am no expert but one thing I do remember being told that more important than the number of stitches per inch was that the stitches be of uniform size and equal distance from each other. Also try slackening off the material in the hoop it should not be too taught.
    Katherine
    Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 PM

I get 4 to 5 stitches in an inch. I buy number 7 tweens quilting needles. They slide through the the fabric easier and like MAXIES said loosen up your hoop
    Old 03-23-2009, 03:34 PM
    Power Poster

I use number 9 betweens and the one thing I remember reading here is that the fabric should not be snug like it is when you cross stitch or embroider. I think if you use the search button for hand quilting someon has explained how they do it really well ! I just used it to brush up on my hand quilting :lol: I don't count my stitches so I am no help there sorry, but I know mine are not tiny :wink:
    Sharon
    Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM

I use Quilter's Betweens needles, usually one of the higher numbers9-11, because they are shorter and allow me to rock and get smaller stitches. The stiffness, thickness of the sandwhich will determine also, how close your stitches will be, how small they will be. Also, do loosen the tautness of your quilt in the frame. Get it smoothe and then loosen it a bit. That will allow you to rock your needle to get smaller even stitches. Just remember, that it takes practice to get nice even stitches. No one did it perfect the first time! And most of us don't do it perfect after many years. We get better at being even and consistent, which is what I strive for. There are some fabrics that are vry difficult to "needle" and if I get two stitches on my needle, I am happy! :lol:
    Old 03-23-2009, 03:42 PM

I use Quilter's Betweens needles, usually one of the higher numbers9-11, because they are shorter and allow me to rock and get smaller stitches. The stiffness, thickness of the sandwhich will determine also, how close your stitches will be, how small they will be. Also, do loosen the tautness of your quilt in the frame. Get it smoothe and then loosen it a bit. That will allow you to rock your needle to get smaller even stitches. Just remember, that it takes practice to get nice even stitches. No one did it perfect the first time! And most of us don't do it perfect after many years. We get better at being even and consistent, which is what I strive for. There are some fabrics that are very difficult to "needle" and if I get two stitches on my needle, I am happy! :lol:
    Old 03-23-2009, 06:40 PM
    Power Poster

I was taught to allow about a fist size of slackness in the hoop. The sandwich should not be tight like a drum. You should be able to place your fist in the middle -- I'd say about 4 inches or so. This slackness allows you to manipulate the quilt sandwich back and forth on the needle while you are stitching.
    Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Thanks for all the good advise. I need to loosen up my quilt in the hoop and my stitches are even but not very close together. I'm working on that.
    Old 03-23-2009, 07:55 PM

I like to use a 9 or 10 needle and do not like my quilt top really tight when I am working on it - either in a hoop or in a quilt frame. It all depends on the material, batting and backing how many stitches I am able to get on my needle...sometimes several, sometimes not. Just try to keep your stitches and spacing even and don't worry about their size. The more you quilt, the evener and smaller the stitches become. :wink:
    Old 03-23-2009, 08:05 PM
    Banned

What type of batting do you prefer?