Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stitching squares to rectangles on the bias >
  • Stitching squares to rectangles on the bias

• Stitching squares to rectangles on the bias

Old 04-23-2016, 12:48 PM
    Suz

Default Stitching squares to rectangles on the bias

I am making the "Pinwheel Surprise" from Missouri Star Quilting wherein 2-1/2" squares are attached to a 2-1/2" x 4" or 6" rectangles at an angle or bias. Normally, I would just set the seam and whack off at 1/4". But this time, I decided to approach this bias seam differently. Before cutting, I set the seam and then pressed the triangle up into position. All three of the layers should be even, right? Well, not always. If all edges were not even and I didn't want to unsew and restitch, I would cut out the middle layer ONLY to remove a little bulk. Then when stitched to another piece, I would rely on the original rectangle for alignment.

No big deal. Right? What I found then, was that when the pinwheels came together (8 points), everything aligned perfectly and after 20 blocks, I only had to adjust two of my blocks.

Needless to say, I will continue to use this technique just for the accuracy of those bias seams.

Please check out this pattern by Missouri Star. It is really sweet and easy using 2-1/2" strips and a background fabric. I am making it for an adopted great granddaughter. We have been blessed.
    Old 04-23-2016, 12:55 PM
    Power Poster

I am not crazy about sewing on a bias edges. I wish that the tube strips weren't all bias. Just double up on the starch and pin carefully works for me.
    Old 04-23-2016, 01:04 PM

When I re-started quilting in 1999, there was a big and very public debate about whether or not to trim flying geese blocks. The blocks were made by sewing small squares to the corners of the rectangles. Some folks wanted to trim it all away and some said to leave the piece that was attached to the rectangle and trim out the middle triangle (Mary Ellen Hopkins was a very vocal proponent of the latter method). I always found that I was more accurate when I did left the rectangle intact, but I hated the bulk. Glad that worked for you.
    Old 04-23-2016, 02:01 PM

I try to avoid this method of flying geese. I prefer Eleanor Burns' method. I despise flippy corners! Lol.
    Old 04-23-2016, 05:25 PM
    Power Poster

congratulations on the new baby. I starch tings to keep them from shifting.
    Old 04-24-2016, 05:48 AM

I leave the back layer intact because I tend to find that no matter how careful I am, when I trim both layers my block is not true. I think this technique is a good solution, as you have found.
    Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 AM
    Suz

Sorry I did not find out about this debate from 1999. It would have saved me a lot of consternation over many years but am happy to have found the solution to my "lopsided" triangles. I must also try the starch idea. Guess I am a slow learner.