Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Stool for Long Arm---drafting stool or saddle seat--which do you prefer? >
  • Stool for Long Arm---drafting stool or saddle seat--which do you prefer?

• Stool for Long Arm---drafting stool or saddle seat--which do you prefer?

Old 01-07-2015, 04:26 AM

I just recieved mine from Office Max. Paid $109.00 for it.mshould be fine for my needs. I was happy with the price, too.
    sandy
    Old 01-07-2015, 07:44 AM

I just bought one of those backless saddle-style stools for my regular sewing machine - I tend to hunch my shoulders up and this type of seat is supposed to force you to sit up straight.

I like it a lot...except my left hip gets really sore after only a little while. I've had that hip replaced and I think things just don't sit quite right in that area. It's really disappointing...not only was the stool expensive but I could tell it was already helping with my back! But I don't want to just trade pains... I haven't given up yet, I'm trying different angles to the seat and seeing if I can find a happy spot because I REALLY want this stool to work out. I love what it does for my back, and I love how much smaller it is than my regular office chair - takes up much less space in my cramped sewing room. And it's surprisingly comfortable overall, except for my poor hip.
    Old 01-07-2015, 07:29 PM

Sandygirl--that's the stool I got and it's working and comfortable. I do accidently "lock" a wheel when I get on and off--so will have to get that worked out--maybe taping the lever up.

Sewnoma--I talked with someone about the saddle seat--she said you have to be very "aware" getting on/off and with my knee I decided I wasn't that coordinated. I was having trouble will hunching over when at my regular sewing machine and decided at least part of it was having trouble seeing--so after much pondering, bought this giant magnifying lense set up (Big Thing? Or Big Lense?) from a vendor at our local quilt show. It forces me to lean back in my chair to see the needle area. I took it, my chair, my Ott light AND my heated,vibrating chair pad to a retreat--they laughed but by the end of the 1st day, several were trying it out! I figure my body is worth at least as much as I spend on fabric for 1 quilt!