• Stop the Quilt Drag while FMQ >
  • Stop the Quilt Drag while FMQ

• Stop the Quilt Drag while FMQ

Old 07-28-2017, 04:52 AM

Brilliant idea.
    Old 07-28-2017, 05:08 AM

How clever is that?
    Old 07-29-2017, 09:48 AM

I do not have that much trouble with drag but I have a large Horn table and I use gloves I found keeping the quilt flat is the secret
    Old 07-30-2017, 02:59 AM

That is very clever and resourceful. I am going to look for some of those clamps next time I pop into a Lowe's or Home Depot.
    Old 07-30-2017, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Doesn't it take a lot of time to re position the quilt using the hanging system? I've never had much of a problem with drag to try this way.
    i have a similar homemade system using a rolling tablet holder and a tripod speaker stand my stepson pulled out of a trash pile in his neighborhood. The bungees allow the quilt to be moved a fair amount before you have to adjust the clamps. I love mine for working on big quilts. Even though I have a table (and a wall) to the left of my machine and another table behind my machine, the bigger quilts can still fall off the back of the table if I don't constantly reach behind my machine and pull them back away from the edge. The suspension system keeps me from having to do that.

Rob
    Old 07-30-2017, 04:13 AM

Great thinking!! I'd love to try it, but my DH would be running off with my clamps almost immediately! LOL! Harbor Freight has some nice ones & he's been buying some as we can, but he never has enough.
    Old 08-01-2017, 03:09 AM

In response to 'a lot of re-positioning of the quilt' not really. As another quilter said, the bungees allow for a lot of movement before you need to alter where they are clamped. And my table is a horn table as well, but I always get a big quilt caught on the corners event when I use the extra arm thingy to give me the 'u' shape. This solves a lot of that problem. And I don't want it to hit the floor - we have a black dog so 'nough said about that. You can never beat the dog hair.

Dh says the quick clips aren't cheap, but they really were collecting cobwebs, so duh. He knows where they are if he needs them.

I also have a coat rack on wheels and was going to try that, but it's in the man cave (basement), and he does use that for his football guests when it's coat weather, so I didn't want to hall that thing up and down two flights of stairs every time I wanted to use it, but I think it would work perfectly.

Thanks to the comment on the yellow paint. This is technically the master bedroom in my cape cod house, and the walls were a brownish mustard color. It was fine, there's a skylight so it wasn't dark, but after a couple of years I just needed to lighten it up and make it cheery. What a pain to paint those slanted ceilings, but I'm very happy with the result. Here's another shot of my sewing room, before and after. I also did some re-arranging, but it's so much nicer this way and bright!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]577820[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]577821[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails sewing_room_before_sm.jpg   sewingroom_2017_after_sm.jpg  
    Old 08-12-2017, 01:33 PM

What a nice sewing space.