Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Storing your rulers >
  • Storing your rulers

• Storing your rulers

Old 05-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Wow! I LOVE your idea.... everyone has a door they can use and be out of the way and out of site to visitors. Thanks!
    Old 05-03-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
    I found this at IKEA. It is meant to hold kitchen utensils but it works beautifully on the side of my cabinet and doesn't take up much space. Good luck!
    Love this one.
    Old 05-03-2010, 12:23 PM

I use to hang mine on nails on the wall of my sewing room but recently have bought one of the 8-slot wooden ruler holders and I just love it. This holder actually holds more than 8 rulers and you can put several of the smaller ones in one slot.
    Old 05-03-2010, 01:28 PM

I bpought a flat board with slits, but quickly ran out of room also it had a tendency to want to tip over. Then I bought the ring (looks like a belt holder) that was great until I needed a ruler. I had to take off all of the ruler in front. Thst got old very fast. I did see a suggestion about putting individual snap rings on each ruler and you could hang them on the "ring" but would be able to take one off, Or hang on peg board, or on a curtain rod, ideas are endless. The large ones with the slots on this site look good but they take up too much room for me.
    Old 05-03-2010, 01:28 PM

I went to Staples and purchased two different size plastic holders for file folders. They're very inexpensive! One is legal size for the large square rulers. The other is a smaller size for the others. Although I do have the wooden ruller holder for the long (24") rulers. A friend made it for me. You can search www.thefind.com to research the best place to purchase the woodent one. Someone just had the on sale.
    Old 05-03-2010, 03:02 PM

I had my DH hang a peg board in my sewing room, this is where I hang my rulers and other items. I also have a big upright cabinet that my son put screws in the side for hanging the rest of my rulers. This works great for me.
    Old 05-03-2010, 03:46 PM

I have the 3M hooks that are removable and have on the door to a closetin our family room (shich is now my cutting room and hang my rulers there. I have duplicate rulers so also have them hung on the back of my sewing room door when not in use.
    Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 PM

U can also use a rack for pot lids
    Old 05-03-2010, 05:33 PM

I put small nails in the wall and hang all my rulers on the wall. I used EQ to work out the layout so I didn't have to move any nails because the rulers wouldn't fit. I have a few rulers that I seldom use so I hang two rulers on one nail. This works for me as I have a small room and lots of stuff in it.
    Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nettie
    I am sure as being someone new that this may already been discussed. But what are your ideas on storing all of your rulers. I have mine all set behind my mail holder and they are always falling down. I thought about buying one of those wooden ruler holders but don't want to spend the money until I investigate further. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Nettie
    Hi Nelle and all,

I don't have much flat surface available in my 'studio.' I also didn't want them on the wall, as that is space to hang my quilting. So I use 2 of those round belt type holders to hang my larger rulers on the side of a bookcase in the studio.

I also have a portable cutting station which is usally in my living room. There I have one fabric ruler holder and
    I drilled 3 holes in the long back of the cutting station [actually a folding kitchen prep station] and used nuts and bolts to secure: 1 fabric ruler holder and then then the other two just hold the rulers I most frequently use.

I do have a drawer in a small chest where I store the really small rulers I don't use often.

my fabric ruler holder
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]39844[/ATTACH]

just holding favorite rulers
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]39845[/ATTACH]

a studio ruler holder
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]39846[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-39844.jpe   attachment-39845.jpe   attachment-39846.jpe