Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Storing your rulers >
  • Storing your rulers

• Storing your rulers

Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 PM

At home sewing: what did you make the ruler hanger with? Is it fabric or clear plastic?
    Old 05-04-2010, 08:35 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by damaquilts
    Here's mine. I got it off eBay and I love it. All wood. Hand made and well worth the price . I didn't think it was expensive at all and I am cheap.
    Clyde's Workshop is the name if anyone is interested.
    that is a neat ruler holder. God bless. Penny
    Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by baubo1234
    At home sewing: what did you make the ruler hanger with? Is it fabric or clear plastic?
    It was made with a quarter-inch melamine sheet (plastic-coated particle board), some small stainless steel nuts and bolts which the rulers hang on, two over-the-door metal brackets and four felt protectors.
    Directions on specifically how are here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/athomesewing/2672771818/
    Old 05-05-2010, 10:33 PM

I use the same as cjc does. I bought mine at our local Thrift Shop and yes they work great!
    Originally Posted by cjc
    I'm sure someone else had mentioned this but I use a wire file holder that you find in the office supply section of a store, the larger rulers fit in that well. For smaller ones, I use a sectioned envelope holder for the office supply section. Works great, doesn't take up much room and they are easy to see.
    Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by roolen
    hello!

I have sewed for rulers a keeper from old jeans and from a hanger. It is very convenient and I like it . The Tutorial is in my blog - http://roolen.blogspot.com/2010/02/blog-post_751.html. It's in Russian but photos are detailed and also there is a button of the Google-translator. :)
    Great idea roolen.
    Old 05-13-2010, 04:54 PM

thank you all for such great ideas. I am going to print some of the ideas and see what works best in my small studio. I have decided I am going to sound professional and call my sewing room a studio make me sound like I know what I a doing in there. LOL

Nettie
    Old 09-26-2010, 08:55 AM

I also made a holder from jean fabric, however the inside of mine is large enough to store my cutting mat. It is on a wooden hanger. hello!

I have sewed for rulers a keeper from old jeans and from a hanger. It is very convenient and I like it . The Tutorial is in my blog - http://roolen.blogspot.com/2010/02/blog-post_751.html. It's in Russian but photos are detailed and also there is a button of the Google-translator. :)[/quote]
    Old 09-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Well we moved back in June and this new room is open to the rest of the house, one wall is nothing but a sliding glass door, the second wall is taken up by two big windows, which I have a bookcase blocking part of one, the last and only full wall is for my design wall and stash racks. So, I had to use the absolutely useless front closet to hang my rulers on the circular hangers from JoAnn's. The big squares and rotating mat I leave in the sewing room against the wall. I don't like having my stuff spread out like this. What I can't fit is in the garage.

But, on the bright side, I am beyond fortunate to have as much space as I do to dedicate just to sewing and for that I am ever so thankful and grateful.
    Old 11-07-2011, 09:36 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Go to "www.ihaveanotion.blogspot.com and look down the page. Kelly does an article about a "hanging wooden ruler holder" that Clyde makes. She has a link to his site. I have one and have one on the way. I sent one to Kelly and she loved it. It is high quality. It has 14 slots (I have about 25 rulers on mine) and 7 hooks underneath to hang scissors or anything else and it has a magnetic door that has a cubby hole that I put my thread and other things in it. Clyde makes each one by hand. He uses wooden dowels, not staples or nails or screws. He uses real wood. Maple, oak, mahogany, etc. If you read her blog, she has pictures and everything. I bought one from Clyde and fell in love with it and talked to him and he had been trying to get quilters to see them. So, as a present, I sent one to Kelly. She loved it so much that she blogged all about it. And she is very picky about what she shares on her blog site. They are about $40.00 (very reasonable). You can buy cheaply made ones for that. So check it out. You'll be amazed.
    Old 11-07-2011, 06:49 PM

I am using a mail sorter I found at Goodwill for a dollar. It's like the wire ones at WalMart that holds file folders on top of your desk.

Works great!

delma