Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Storing your stash >
  • Storing your stash

• Storing your stash

Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 AM

I don't have a large stash, but I keep it folded in clear plastic bins which I display vertically in a closed cabinet. That way I can take the fabric out to look it over, if I need to, but it is not subject to sunlight.
    Attached Thumbnails 2014-01-12_10-52-49_991.jpg  
    Old 01-12-2014, 08:18 AM

small scapes go into plastic bins or plastic drawers and the nicer, larger pieces or stash bought for a specific quilt, go into an old art deco china cabinet that I bought at auction--can hide the "ugly stuff" like stabilizer, etc behind the solid wood doors and the fabric is visible behind the glass doors. I also have a trundle bed in the sewing room that is continually covered with WIP and the trundle has no mattress--but is covered with sorted wide backs and pieces of batting!
    Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 AM

Alot of mine are in clear bins on the flour under the overhang of my 4x8ft sewing table (10), bins under my cutting table, on bolts, some folded in a cabinet and the rest is folded on a shelving unit (except for scraps which are in large trash bags) .. I live in a dusty climate and hate that I have fabric on shelves! I have way too much fabric from being a fabri-holic!
    Old 01-12-2014, 08:54 AM

I store fabric in an old chest of drawers. Have a smaller cutting mat on top for use as needed and this works well as long as I don't have a lot of yardage to cut.
    Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 AM

My favorite fabric storage unit is what I know as Lawyer Cabinets. They are stackable units that have pull down glass doors. I got mine at a thrift store with ugly contact paper on them and DH pulled it off and painted them up pretty for me. I'm attaching a photo in case I don't have the name right.
    I just pull the doors straight out then they pivot down to cover my fabric when I'm not using it.
    Attached Thumbnails fabric-storage-glass-doors-up.jpg  
    Old 01-12-2014, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by mamaborne
    So... I finally organized my office and I'm now ready to start quilting. I have a nice stash started from a few years back of samples I ordered from fabric.com. They are starting to pile up though, so I need to start thinking about storage ideas.

I was thinking of buying some pretty paper boxes to put them in, but then thought that having them visible might be a source of inspiration?

Anyone have/seen any great ideas on how to store your stash? I have a large wall where I could hang shelving, as one option. Sort of like the idea of containers better though, as they'll get dusty on a shelf, even if in bins.

Thanks!
    I have still to clean out my home office and turn it into a sewing room. Right now I have all my fabric colour coded and in clear plastic three drawer stackable units from Wall-mart. I do have my batting and fleece in Wal-mart tubs though.
    Old 01-12-2014, 10:17 AM

I store mine in bins form WM, that are not to big, but as we have sugar sand and pets, it keeps material cleaner and dust off them. I have them sorted by type, as I have alot of animal material and by color sort of.
    Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 AM

I store mine in plastic tubs in a cupboard. I've never really done well with a visual display because I get it looking so organized and pretty, I hate to disturb it and use it!!
    Old 01-12-2014, 10:34 AM

Default Fabric Storage

I hang mine up in a closet.
    Attached Thumbnails fabric-storage.jpg  
    Old 01-12-2014, 11:33 AM
    Power Poster

I like using see through plastic totes, as I can see what I have in that tote. They were especially useful when my sewing room was in the basement of our house - now the totes are a wall of fabric in my room. I try to separate the fabrics, Christmas, July 4th, baby, blues, purples, etc., however when I start making a quilt or a quilting project they do get slightly messed up, then I need to take some time and re organize them, but that's when I can usually discover at least 1 or 2 or more pieces that I'd forgotten I had - makes reorganizing like a treasure hunt.