Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Storing your stash >
  • Storing your stash

• Storing your stash

Old 01-12-2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan
    If you have room for filing cabinets, check out dilyn's picture post under "I quilted my drawers"
    I love what she did with those filing cabinets. One of the best storage ideas I've seen. If only I had the space for them! If you have room and want organization, I'd go for something like that.
    Old 01-12-2014, 01:33 PM

I have a 6 shelf bookcase. I have my material folded on each shelf. Like the length that it comes on a bolt. I can still see the colors. Also I have another bookcase, that I have my off-white/cream material on. That is takeing up 2 shelves. Fold as the same as all of my material. Length wise
    Old 01-12-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl
    I love what she did with those filing cabinets. One of the best storage ideas I've seen. If only I had the space for them! If you have room and want organization, I'd go for something like that.
    I'd like to see how the fabric is stored inside the filing cabinets as I find them to be so deep that they are hard for me to use. How does one put fabric into them and still be able to see what you have in there?
    Old 01-12-2014, 03:07 PM

Inexpensive bookcases with deep shelves. Plastic bins are good but with the open shelves (use a fabric cover if too much light will be present) you can "flip through" the fabrics to find just what you want. I'm really surprised how much more of my stash I've been using since I set this system up, and was also surprised with some fabrics that got a "where did I ever get that" reaction.
    Old 01-12-2014, 03:49 PM
    Power Poster

I just got these two larger Sterilite container drawers at Walmart on sale for $49.00 each. I put my ironing board on top. I organize my stash by type of fabric. Bright tonals, bright prints, watercolor florals, Patriotic, etc. Haven't figure out the best way to place a label.
    Attached Thumbnails sterlite-drawers-ironingboard.jpg  
    Old 01-12-2014, 08:07 PM

I would forgo the cardboard boxes. I find they get a smell to them after a while. For me, I find a system where I can see the fabric so anything open or see thru works best.
    Old 01-12-2014, 08:42 PM

My stash is stored in cubes, in bins, on metal shelves, and in piles. I have one room that is full of fabric from floor to ceiling and I need to stop buying. Like that is going to happen. I do wish I had doors on my shelves as they can get dust lines on them when they sit too long.
    Old 01-13-2014, 07:41 AM

I have 3 gun cabinets with glass doors, 2 have drawers on the bottom. My DH installed those metal strips and clips for adjustable shelves. I also have 18 large clear plastic totes and 6 smaller totes. My Big Board is on top of a stack of 9 large totes. The gun cabinets are great, dust free and shallow, the totes are to heavy and the fabric I want always seems to be in the bottom tote! Saving my pennies for new cabinets, probably IKEA.
    Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 AM

Here are the cabinets I got from Amazon. I got 3 of them--they work great for me.
    http://www.amazon.com/Prepac-Collect...white+cabinets
    Old 01-13-2014, 08:12 AM
    Power Poster

I have to see my fabrics to be inspired, so I have them wound on comic book backing boards and standing upright in a bookshelf, like books. I'm in the process of cutting my scraps into squares and strips, ready for use, and will store those in plastic stacked drawer units.