Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • storing your thread >
  • storing your thread

• storing your thread

Old 11-13-2011, 05:46 AM

My sweetie just finished builting me a cabinet for my threads. It is 4ft tall, 3 ft wide, has pegboard as the back so I just put those metal tool hangers in it and slip my thread on. Door closes keeping out dust and light. I love it, it is great. Holds about 100 cones of thread. I also have thread I have had for many years and I use it whenever, if I have a problem I pitch it out but it usually still works great. Thread costs too much not to use it.
    Old 11-13-2011, 06:02 AM
    Banned

Don't believe the advice about thread only lasting 3 years..........I have thread from many years and still strong.
    If it doesn't easily break then use it. If thread only lasted 3 years think of all the quilts coming apart and we would be walking down the street with our clothes dropping off our body. I have never seen an expiration date on a spool of thread.
    Bah.....humbug!!!
    Old 11-13-2011, 06:05 AM
    KR

I have two 3-drawer (scrapbook) cabinets from Michael's stacked next to my machine. One drawer holds a ton of thread and keeps them from getting dusty.
    Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 AM

I bought some bins from te fishing dept of Walmart and I store my thread in them, They are a good buy instead of buying a quilt thread holder. Check out the fishing dept for diferent containers!
    Old 11-13-2011, 12:04 PM

If thread has a life of 3 yrs then what is holding together those 100 yr old quilts; many have been washed mulitple times and some were done so on an old wash board. I almost got rid of my thread a few years ago that was old until I thought about all of those quilts still out there. I'm sure if thread had that short of life on a spool tucked away then it wouldn't even make it around for 3yrs once put into a quilt and used and abused. I have 2 thread holders and use them. I don't see a problem with it as long as it's not in the sun and gets used enough not to get to dusty
    Old 11-13-2011, 12:12 PM

I have some of mine on a wall thread holder but I put clear plastic over the top of the holder so the thread is covered
    with plastic.
    My machine embroidery thread is in a plastic thread container from Joanns.
    Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 PM

I store my some of my threads on a wall holder but I attached clear plastic to it so it would cover the thread.
    I put my embroidery thread in a plastic thread box from Joanns.
    Old 11-13-2011, 01:30 PM

I have a 120 spool peg rack on the wall next to my machine and keep it covered with a piece of clear plastic vinyl I bought at Walmart. Works great, keeps it close to the machine and free of dust , dirt etc.
    My embroidery machine thread is a a wood cabinet with a glass door that got recessed into the wall when my sewing room was built, so only the trim shows. makes my thread look very pretty
    Old 11-13-2011, 02:19 PM

I use the peg holders I have 2 for regular thread and 1 my DH made me for serger thread. I haven't had any problems, but mine is hangs in a cabinet with the doors closed most of the time. The over stock is kept in plastic containers. I also keep my thread for the embroidery and quilting machines in plastic, they are the only ones that I have ever had trouble with related to lint. As far as, thread over 3 yrs old I've used some and have never had any issues. As far as the storing, I probably would not store mine out in the open, but I think it is a personal choice. I've heard good and bad on both.
    Old 11-13-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Val in IN
    I store mine in a rolling plastic 3 drawer unit that I got at the dollar store. It works for me. I had one of the thread holders wth the pegs on it, but I had too many spools so I gave it away and went with the plastic drawers.
    I do the same!