Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Straight Stitch Plate...Why should I use one? >
  • Straight Stitch Plate...Why should I use one?

• Straight Stitch Plate...Why should I use one?

Old 02-27-2014, 05:07 AM
    Power Poster

Well Dottymo, it looks like I am the only one who doesn't like to FMQ with a single hole plate but that's okay because we are all allowed our own opinion.
    Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 AM

My machine did not come with one, but I ordered one, and use it all the time when I am piecing. It really does make a difference.
    Old 02-27-2014, 05:55 AM

OK - here goes yes you should use it for piecing at least. I have never mastered the FMQing on a domestic so I can not address that.

I used to sell Vikings and (lol) always told my quilters to use it. Of course for myself, I have always been too lazy to switch mine out. It just seemed like too much trouble. Recently ... I have been piecing lots of small things and HSTs for a scrappy quilt in between everything else. My fabric was continually "eaten" even after I tried to remember to grab the threads or use a leader. Decided to swap out the throat plate for the single hole and guess what? It works BEAUTIFULLY!

Try it and see if it improves your FMQing.
    Old 02-27-2014, 07:43 AM

Also some of the newer machines have a 9mm opening (standard is 5mm) so that makes the opening almost twice the size. If you have a 9mm opening a straight stitch plate works wonders both with piecing and quilting. I also have one for one of my machines with the 5mm opening. I really do think it makes a difference for me
    Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by eparys
    OK - here goes yes you should use it for piecing at least. I have never mastered the FMQing on a domestic so I can not address that.

I used to sell Vikings and (lol) always told my quilters to use it. Of course for myself, I have always been too lazy to switch mine out. It just seemed like too much trouble. Recently ... I have been piecing lots of small things and HSTs for a scrappy quilt in between everything else. My fabric was continually "eaten" even after I tried to remember to grab the threads or use a leader. Decided to swap out the throat plate for the single hole and guess what? It works BEAUTIFULLY!

Try it and see if it improves your FMQing.
    Good advise.
    If you already have the plate, set it up with the straight stitch plate and give it a try. Then you'll know which you like better.
    Rodney
    Old 02-27-2014, 09:07 AM

I have a Janome Horizon 8200 which is a 9mm. I couldn't use the single hole for piecing though, as the 1/4 inch setting on my machine moves the needle all the way to the right. So it wouldn't work.

But I may try it for FMQing.

Thanks!
    Old 02-27-2014, 10:51 AM

My Bernina 440 QE has never eaten fabric at the beginning of a seam, whether or not I'm using a leader (or "spider" as F&P call them), and I don't use a straight stitch plate. When I first got my Singer (in 1971), I would have a problem until I realized I was starting the stitching off the fabric. If I moved the fabric so that the needle would go into the fabric, I rarely had problems.

I won't use a straight stitch plate, because I not only piece, but I do crafts with my machine, and I switch back and forth between straight stitching and decorative stitching frequently. Changing out the plate would be a pain in the patoot and I would probably forget and break needles.
    Old 02-27-2014, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    The single hole plate will help stabilize the fabric and keep your stitching lines straighter and nicer. Plus, it avoids "eating" up the beginning edges of your seams.

Same for FMQ ... nicer smoother stitching.
    I agree......when i switched to the one hole plate, my stitches improved so much and there were no more eyelashes
    Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 AM
    Power Poster

I tried the single hole plate a few times but, after breaking the needle a couple of times, decided it wasn't worth it. The needle broke because I would forget and change to a zigzag; needle would hit the foot. It doesn't work for piecing on my machine because I need to move the needle to get my scant 1/4" seam with the foot I prefer.
    Old 02-28-2014, 04:11 AM

You get a much nicer stitch without any eyelash effect on the curves - far superior.