Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Strategy for cutting fabric for scrap quilts >
  • Strategy for cutting fabric for scrap quilts

• Strategy for cutting fabric for scrap quilts

Old 05-28-2016, 07:18 AM

You guys are excellent for helping me brainstorm. Thank you very much!

Happy Saturday.

Teresa
    Old 05-28-2016, 07:23 AM
    Power Poster

I have a lot of scraps so I never or rarely cut up larger pieces of fabric....
    Old 05-28-2016, 08:01 AM

I was going through the same thought process awhile back over a number of half-yard pieces I've accumulated, all in blue batiks. If I leave them as is, they will probably sit on the shelf forever, basking in their loveliness.

I want to cut them up into the most efficient and usable forms, so I'm thinking to cut two 2.5 strips x wot for future jelly roll projects, then four 10" squares that can be used or turned into charms. Assuming a perfect 18" half yard piece and no cutting errors (not likely, but still) that leaves me with a 3" strip that I could cut into another jelly roll strip or else into 3" squares.

I haven't done anything yet, but someday I will. I think your 6" strip from your yardage is a good plan.
    Old 05-28-2016, 08:49 AM
    Power Poster

I think cutting a strip off the end is a good idea. I do the same, only I cut a strip 6.5" wide. So that from a 6.5" square, I can get 4 2.5" squares, and 1.5" squares with the leftovers. Add those to appropriate containers.
    I've also found that using the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers helps to keep me from cutting and overabundance of odd-sized pieces.
    Old 05-28-2016, 10:01 AM

This is what I do, too -- cut a fat width and then cut it into sizes I need. If I have a sizable chunk left over, instead of it going in the scrap bag, I refold it with the yardage on my comic boards and then there it is, when I need that fabric again for something.
    Old 05-28-2016, 10:07 AM

As I ponder this quickly, I agree with Mariposa on the 6.5 inch size. That way I could use a 5 inch square as there are lots of charm pack patterns out there and I'd have a 1.5 inch strip to use in other scrappy quilts. I've been saving down to 1 inch wide scraps and I've found that although I will work with pieces that size and even 3/4 inch size, that I prefer 1.5 inch as the smallest size to precut in strips.
    Old 05-28-2016, 01:21 PM

Yeah, I might increase my size to 6.5".....although maybe not so I can continue to use my 6" wide Omnigrid. Hmmmmmm, makes a lot of sense, though.

Last edited by TeresaA; 05-28-2016 at 01:24 PM.
    Old 05-28-2016, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by TeresaA
    Yeah, I might increase my size to 6.5".....although maybe not so I can continue to use my 6" wide Omnigrid. Hmmmmmm, makes a lot of sense, though.
    Your idea for cutting a 6" wide strip first from so many fabrics for this project is inspirational, efficient, tidy, and organized! I would probably choose the width of my 6.5" x 24.5 ruler for my first cut. You have just taught this old dog a new trick. Many, many thanks, TeresaA.
    Old 05-29-2016, 08:54 AM

I'm always looking for new ideas for organizing my scraps & stash. This has been a fun & interesting post. Thanks everyone!
    Old 05-29-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
    I personally think the 6" scrap cut might work for you. I'm not a big fan of Bonnie Hunter's scrap quilts or her ideas for cutting all those pieces of fabric into little bitty pieces, I like bigger pieces. I have thought about the same thing you have and figured out that I like larger pieces to work with. I thought about cutting a 10" piece off each of my fabrics because I have some books with patterns that start with a 10" piece of fabric. Like you, I don't want just one chunk out of my fabric, I prefer it cut neatly and evenly. I haven't started this yet as I have some other projects to do first around the house, but I think you can cut your fabric the size that works for you. I have a very nice section of scrap fabric that is all FQ size, give or take, and I will also start a 10" pile. Go for it, no quilt/fabric police here.
    I have started cutting my larger 'scraps' into 10" squares and also 5" squares. I personally am doing this with pieces smaller than FQ size and not from yardage. Made myself a plexiglass 10" square to cut the fabrics.
    I have been quilting since the mid-80's and I want larger pieces to make charity projects and to work up quicker.