Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • String Quilt >
  • String Quilt

• String Quilt

Old 05-15-2018, 03:51 AM

What is the Saturday quilt show you are mentioning?

Thanks
    Old 05-15-2018, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S
    You can also use those sheets for quilt backs. I do this a lot and it works great.
    I have backed charity quilts with sheets from Goodwill, more than once. I say charity quilts only because the newer sheets can be pretty dense and are hard to needle when doing binding by hand, whereas I could use a serpentine stitch to finish a charity one.
    Old 05-15-2018, 11:12 AM

Your soft, well used sheets should make great string quilt foundations. Press well with a little starch after trimming to easily handled chunks, then cut your foundations.
    Old 05-15-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne
    A tip for your string quilt: no matter how ugly a fabric may be on its own, it will work great in a string quilt. First one I made I purposely used all fabrics that were really ugly (from scrap bags) and it's been my prettiest string quilt so far. The ones I made that were "planned" have never turned out as nice.
    I learned that when I made a jacket out of a log cabin variation. I used up some fabrics I didn't like that much but they were the right colors. They looked great in the finished jacket. It's one of the things I really like about string quilts. You can use up so many scraps and fabrics you might otherwise not use.
    Old 05-15-2018, 06:18 PM

My Opinion:
    I use the thinnest tissue paper I can find. Usually get it at a big box store and they sell it in boxes of 1000 sheet. BUT I just share with friends. OLD phonebooks (at least 1 yr old to make sure the ink is set) are not bad either.

I personally don't like the extra weight that a fabric adds to the blocks, and dryer sheets are ok, but still pretty darn thick. The idea is to make the Paper Pieced blocks (PP) with the least amount of bulk possible, to avoid quilting issues later.

I make string blocks all the time as leader/enders when sewing other quilt blocks. I sew other blocks to the tops and cut like a HST. I've used them to make star points around a square.

SO go for the gold on your string blocks. Great way to use up your smaller strips and they don't have to be the same width either.
    Attached Thumbnails sandwich-wrap-.png   cut-triangle-down-middle-marked-line..jpg   wonky-scrappy-strippy-hst.jpg