Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • String quilts without foundation piecing? >
  • String quilts without foundation piecing?

• String quilts without foundation piecing?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by lswan
    I just love string quilts. I love scraps. However, I do not like paper piecing- sewing through paper, ripping it out, ugh. I don't like piecing on top of other fabric because it makes the quilt bulky when I FMQ on my sewing machine. Does anybody have any successes with making strings without a foundation? I understand the benefits of using foundation piecing, but I would never complete a project with this method. Thanks.
    Linda
    OK you don't like to sew on something, but....it really turns out better. Go to www.quiltinggallery.com and look up Michelle Foster's string tutorial on a herringbone block. She uses some very nice foundation that adds no bulk. I use doodle pads from the dollar store - it tears out so easy it almost falls out.
    Old 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM

I usually use old sheets cut into squares or extra pieces of batting. That being said you don't have to it just makes them easy to handle and then I use the qayg method to put the squares together.
    Old 04-22-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat
    I don't foundation piece on string quilts. BUT my strings are all uniform and no less than 1-1/2" wide. I think if the strips aren't straight and/or smaller, then it will be more difficult.
    Same here. I had no idea people used paper to make these. That is, until I started reading the QB. i just thought it's what everyone did with leftover strips.
    Old 04-22-2013, 01:09 PM

Here is the link to my tutorial here on the QB - it works like a charm no foundation pieces,

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t211900.html

good luck!
    Old 04-22-2013, 01:11 PM

Default Strips and Strings Log Cabin

Here's a link to a site with a pattern for a stringy log cabin that does not use a foundation. I have made 3 log cabins following these instructions. Great for using up small pieces.

www.maryquilts.com

The free pattern is called strips and strings log cabin.
    Attached Thumbnails strips-strings-log-cabin.jpg  
    Old 04-22-2013, 03:22 PM

We've been using old phone book pages at my church quilting group. Stitch with a small stitch and they just peel right off. No effort whatsoever. I made a Christmas wall hanging for my first paper piecing project. The instructor had run our pattern off on copy paper. Lordy Lordy, I like to have never got that paper off. I can't tell you how many stitches had to be reinforced because removing the paper broke the threads. Definitely not worth going through that.
    Old 04-22-2013, 06:11 PM

What about tracing paper?
    Old 04-22-2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Pollytink
    I'm trying to sort all this about "string" quilts and foundation piecing out! New terms to me: "strata"=the pieced blocks, right? "Lasagna" quilts=basically a jelly roll quilt, right? I've wondered if using e.g. muslin as a foundation would make the quilt more bulky once you add batting and backing? "Flip and Stitch" basically same as string piecing but string pcg are strips in a row on the backing and F+S can have the strips arranged around a center focus fabric? There are two threads about baby quilts I love that say they are basically a crazy quilt block using the flip & stitch technique: Focus Fabric from a Scrub, and Finished! by weasier22. I finally found one or two tutes on doing them this way or I'd never have figured it out myself! I hadn't been grabbed by string etc. piecing but am beginning to be hooked in! So many questions, so much to learn! And about using used dryer strips as backing, I'm going to have to quit cutting them in half to be frugal and leave them whole! Whew!
    There are several things going on in this thread.

Some of us cut long strips or have long strips of fabric and sew them together, then cut them up in some way to make something new; or leave them as is, as in jelly roll race.

Some are sewing strips, (any length) to foundation shapes.

And some are sewing scraps to strips of paper or fabric foundation. The resulting strips (strings) of hundreds of scraps are then sewn into something.

The first one I could do without a foundation, but I wouldn't want to attempt the last one without one.

Last edited by maviskw; 04-22-2013 at 07:44 PM.
    Old 04-22-2013, 08:12 PM

I'm doing a string quilt now, and using a backing---suggested by a seamstress---she suggested I look for "cheap" bed skirts at thrift stores and us the "crappy" material they use that covers the box spring. So far, it seems nice.
    Old 04-23-2013, 02:46 AM

I made a string quilt w/o using anything behind the strings... I cut my scrap fabrics into a variety of widths up to two inches wide. I sewed them together depending on the lengths and then cut my pieces from that... If I can ever figure out how to post pictures on this board, I'll post it.