Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Studio Dreams >
  • Studio Dreams

• Studio Dreams

Old 02-20-2011, 12:54 AM

That sounds wonderful. Good for you, I am sure all of the work and effort will be worth it in the end.
    Old 02-20-2011, 03:18 AM
    Banned

I would love to have everything in one room... better yet, on one floor! My sewing spaces are in the attached garage, and both upstairs bedrooms. It's a royal pain having to go back and forth all the time. Next I hope to get my studio built, so this thread interests me for getting good ideas!
    Old 02-20-2011, 03:42 AM
    Power Poster

Lights,lots of lighting. I have a nice room with everthing I need except enough lighting.
    If I were to start over I would like my own little cabin.
    Old 02-20-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Anne P
    Having seen pictures of a lot of quilting/sewing studios here, and thinking about how I can incorporate some of the great ideas into my own (or wishing I could), got me to wondering:
    what features would you have in your dream studio, or what do you have that is a dream for you?

As for me, I want more natural light and room for a mid-arm quilting machine. I'm not knocking what I have because it has some wonderful features, and I know there are those who have to make do with much less. However, if I could design one from scratch with no limitations, wellll . . .

How about you?

To finish putting my 1300 sf together.(Thank-you Hubby!!!)

:( :thumbup: :D
    Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 AM

• Lighting is essential. Natural lighting from the north and lots of full spectrum florescent lighting. • Lots of electricity on different circuits, with floor plugs • a walk around custom height cutting table • Tons of storage cabinets with glass paneled doors so as to keep dust out, to easily see what is inside, but covered by pull down shades or design wall to cut the light damage potential • loads of space to the side of each machine to accommodate the massive quantities of fabric being pushed around by me and fellow guests • separate pressing table, the size of the cutting table, with built in outlets on the ends • room for a hand quilting frame, and multiple chairs for the revitalization of a quilting bee • room for at least one 12' long arm (additional space for another 10' and perhaps an 8' and even a sit down frame would make work on multiple quilting projects possible • book shelves for books and publications • computer desk with printer • TV with DVD player/recorder • comfortable place to sit while looking at books or TV quilting shows • convenient to a bathroom • a counter with a mini fridge below, a microwave on top, and a coffee/tea maker and a cabinet for said snacks and drink supplies (I fancy me using the microwave more for heating rice packs for my neck and back than anything else.) • a cabinet for cleaning supplies and vacuum, just in case I get a wild hair • open space with tables and chairs to accommodate about an 8-10 person class, would also serve as a layout space to push tables together for sandwiching large projects not destine for the long arm • hanging hooks in a position where I can take full quilt photographs • stress relief pads in areas where long standing is likely • warm carpeting/rugs in reading and computer areas • good heating and air conditioning system with in room controls • Windows with screens which can be opened for fresh air in non pollen season • good sound system with XM radio and multi-CD player • counter space for standing rulers, spray bottles, and other frequently used items in close proximity to where such items would be used • an intercom/cam system to the main part of the house • A security system, smoke detectors, and perhaps even a sprinkler system • a catwalk loft, or pulley system to hang display quilts • connected but separate walk out kitchen and laundry rooms where I could hand dye and prep fabrics (and occasionally keep an eye on the evening meal in the roaster or crock pot) • a loading dock for incoming fabric deliveries

OK, so the last one is a joke, but the rest is on my real list. It's actually one of the components of a rather large addition I want to have built. Another section would be the arts and crafts studio, an exercise room, and an indoor pool and spa. I was thinking about having a custom Clayton home built on site, then having the pool house attached by a breezeway. The building permit would have to specify a workshop, otherwise it would be considered a habitable building which would alter the property value (taxes).
    Old 02-20-2011, 12:24 PM

Okay, if we are dreaming what I really want is a wife!
    Old 02-20-2011, 12:40 PM

I'll take a wife, also!! LOL!!!